Pottery kilns

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ref1ection

Reaction score
I was wondering if electric pottery kilns could be used to melt aluminum and if so are there any major pitfalls?

Ray

yes they can , mine reaches 1300 c just about (nabertherm 100) , only problem is the sheer time and the electric bill !
and of course remember to switch off the kiln before removing and loading the Crucible , becomes problematic if you want to do more than one melt, due to the heat and of course being careful not to knock the elements .

electric with metal and flesh dont fair well in a fight .

Dave

My other half has a pottery kiln that lives in my workshop. I don't think it would be suitable for melting aluminium as:-
  • the elements are fully exposed although the power is turned off if you lift the lid
  • the refactory is very lightweight and quite flimsy
  • it takes a long time to get up to temperature

Cheers
John

I've done it in my little Neycraft kiln (goes to 2000'F, so they say), but as the others have said, it's awkward, especially in a little side-loader like the Neycraft-- skimming dross is a pain and getting the crucible in and out safely is difficult.

I've never had any experience with pottery kilns but have seen them for sale quite cheap in my area and thought it might be an easier option. Finding supplies to make a kiln has not been easy. Thanks guys for the replies. You've saved me some time trying this on my own.

Ray

Well, if a nice smallish one with a controller comes by for a good price, think hard about snagging it anyway. It won't be great for melting metal, but they are nice to have for other things-- heat-treating steel, curing paint and powdercoat, melting glass, burning out wax and so on.

I built my foundry from stuff I have found at the tip. I did purchase a decent castable refractory cement. It has been well worth the effort. Check it out here http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=14941.0

The original gas burner was not hot or quick enough so I made a simple dribble waste oil burner. It can melt 3kg of ali from cold in about 15 minutes. The only thing that cost money was the cement.
We used a kiln at school and it was PITA to use as stated above. But as SHred said they are handy for alot of other things. My 5 cents worth.

Brock

Some really good points. I like electric for anything EXCEPT melting metal. Electricity gives you very fine control when equipped with a good PID controller, and you can do some really nice heat treatment with it, including heat treating aluminum that you've just cast - which calls for temps close to melting.

But for foundry, it's hard to argue with the speed & convenience of gas. I read somewhere that a high-flow propane regulator yields up it's energy somewhere in the 200 hp range, meaning you're getting 140 kilowatts out of it while it's on high.

Latest posts

Back