Poor mans' way to measure (angular) force?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

Reaction score
I want to put a motor on the 'Z' axis (with limit switch) of my mill\drill for ease of tool changes, setups and such. How do you figure out how many ft\lbs or what ever flavor of force (mN/m) it takes to turn the z axis shaft? To match a motor to it? Thanks

On the same note, I came across a Mitsumi stepper motor (M55SP-2k) from a printer and knowing diddly squat about dc motors would it be usefull\powerful for such an application? According to the Mfgr's web site, the motor is 24V DC, duty Amps 0.8 Peak 1.2 Amps. 7.5°\step, Holding Torque(?) 156mN/m ~ 200mN/m, Pullout Torque(?) 101~154mN/m at 800PPM, Pull In Torque(?) Max Pull Out Pulse Rate 3000~1to750PPM Max Pull In Pulse Rate 350~390PPM. It also menntions somthing about being a "4 Layer" motor? Thanks again for any insight, this stuff is Γρεεκ to me (for now) ;)

Thanks again,
Chazz

Here http://www.romanblack.com/stepper.htm you can find a simple method for measuring the torque of a stepper motor; in the same way you can measure the torque needed for moving your Z axis if you apply the pulley on the Z axis screw.

Cheers

Roberto

attach a lever or handle to the axis of know length pull on the lever with a small fish type scale . Multiply the results a 10 inch lever that require 10 pounds of force = 100 inch pounds. It is only basic rocket science.
Tin

Thanks guys, the link was perfect and great timing too as fishing season is over, there are sales on fishing gear right now so a scale is on the shopping list.

Cheers,
Chazz

Back