points for a $30 ignition?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jct842

Reaction score
i just received my $30 ign. from hobby king. no papers at all came with it. as i found out with a search here, a hall sensor and magnet is required

is there any way to get it to fire with a set of points or a micro switch? if i had known it was not complete i could have ordered what ever it was missing.

it will probably will be a while before i am ready to start my plumbing parts engine any way, but if it can be run with points i will still feel more comfortable using them.

thanks john

Don't know about the US but the last time I bought a hall sensor it cost me about $4, which is about 1/3 the price of points. You could probably run it on points but more electrickiry may be needed. I am no expert on electrics but someone will chime in. Once you use a hall sensor you will never go back to points to easy and never need replacing. My 5 cents worth.

Brock

I have bought a couple of them from Hobby King and they came with the hall sensor. In any case he sells the sensor separately.

Hi John,

I also just received the HK ignition systems and will probably start playing with them today. (projects need to be finished by Sunday don't ya know) ;)

Long story short, the hall sensor is just a magnetic switch so it could be replaced with something else.

The real question is should the replacement switch be NC or NO (normally closed or normally open?) If it can be replace with an NC switch then the micro switch option should work fine and not use any more power or other modifications.

Remember that these modules will burn up if the supply voltage exceeds 6.0V.

Here is the install manual, doesn't have much technical info.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/uploads/6061/RCEXL_Manual.pdf

Give me a day or two to look over my system and I'll try to provide a better answer.

FB

Back