One from Ireland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruaidhri

Reaction score
Hi, and first of all THANKS for sharing the info!

61 yr old, retired Customs Officer. Woodturning for about 30+ yrs. Bought a Myford Super 7 when I retd. as I'm getting more into OT type turning.
Little did I know that a metal lathe is even more addictive than a wood lathe ::)

Only done a few bits & bobs so far - a Potts Milling & Drilling Spindle, and the GHT height gauge, plus a few add-ons for my woodlathe (a modified Record No 4).

I'll shut up now, as I suspect you are all dozing off from sheer boredom ;D

Cheers,
Ruaidhrí
(pr:rooree, Gaelic for Rory!)

Welcome to the forums! I'm new here, myself, but they're a great bunch of guys who have an answer for anything, and love to help.

-Vernon

Welcome Ruaidhrí wEc1

I'm also pretty new ;D

You're one ahead of me on doing any of George Thomas's works!

Now for the th_wwp

Regards, Arnold

Ruaidhri said:
as I suspect you are all dozing off from sheer boredom

Your suspicions are quite wrong!

Looking forward to sharing your adventures.

And yes...pics are important...

Ruaidhrí:
Welcome No not bored we like folks to introduce themselves and give a little info about there background and what brought them here. We are also entertained by the adventures of the newbie and the experienced alike. And yes the folk here love project pictures engines, tools, finished projects and works in progress. Lots of pictures.
Tin

Welcome to HMEM Ruaidhrí.

Rick

wEc1 howdy hey and welcome we do like pics . this is a great place everyone here is very helpful.
and welcome all

Ruaidhrí,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Ruaidhrí,

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your work. My wife and I honeymooned in Ireland. Beautiful country. We hope to get back there one of these days.

Bob

Welcome to HMEM Ruaidhrí. wEc1
Best regards
Paolo

Welcome and on a side note you are going to work a lot harder if you want to bore me ;)

I always like meeting new folks that have similar interests!

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Please forgive the manners, but for the last year we have been going to far too many funerals. Lost Dad, 2 bros-in-law, 2 uncles, an aunt and four friends. Been a black period, but finally getting back to form.

Anyoldhow, finally back into the workshop lately and the woodturning classes are ticking over nicely - I have 10 very enthusiastic "advanced" turners, who actually listen!! Helps keep me sane (-ish)

Since last post I have finished the milling and drilling spindle and the overhead gear to drive it (just need to sew up the leather belt, hit the go button and run for safety ;D

Also knocked up a ball turning yokemibob for the Record (also fits the Myford). Based loosely on GHT's design, but used hacked up spare banjo from a Record, it takes up to about 7" diam balls (who said that - it is very Very RUDE????).
Other output includes (finally) a tapping rig for the tailstock (again GHT).

Fitted a gearbox with my heart in my mouth as I sawed off a chuck of the leadscrew, but it works perfectly (thanks to Jim Marshal who sold it to me and took a bunch of frantic phone calls). I also picked up the metric quadrant, so with the collection of gears I already have I should be OK for helices etc., assuming I can get my head around it all.
Taper turning attachment added which makes life soooo sweet. Drawback here is that almost every woodturner I know is going "do you think you could just.... :D

Soon as I get a chance I'll fire up a few pics, now that I'm more or less back in action :)

Fond regards,
Ruaidhrí

Go raibh maith agat Ian, táim an mhaith ar fad :)

Prob best to stick with the oul Béarla though - don't want to be kicked off as a newbie for using unintelligible language :D

Cheera,
Ruaidhrí

Sorry about the manners folks - and thanks again for the warm welcome!

A certain medicaltypeprofessor took an interest in my body a while back ::)

"You have ORIFICES, my son" he said, with a strangely worrying smile.
"I shall use great lengths of tubing, and insert them into those chappies, then I shall use my Mighty Machine to scan you until you glow in the dark"
"That will be €175 please"

I had, he did, and I do.

Turns out the old Murphy bod has NOT got what the whole family were worrying about (I was blissfully unaware of their concerns, and was delighted to have lost 3.5 stones of excess Murphy).
Prof "You have hemorrhoids, polyps, diverticulitis, osteoporosis and Coeliac Disease - that will be another wad of cash please - forget about the milling machine"
I couldn't resist the old family retort - "Thank God - I was afraid you'd tell me I have dandruff"

Anyoldhow - THAT'S why I didn't reply earlier - I wuz busy :mad:

Regards,
Ruaidhrí

Welcome Ruaidhri!

Hope your feeling better.....

Dave

Latest posts

Back