old mans new lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it would be ~28 amps per wire. I'm guessing the electric company charges for 85 amps, not 28... :big:

Chuck

Back to the original thread, that is a hongkin' big lathe... and it is a beauty!

Chuck

well boys to answer your disscussion the motor i think says something around what you are talking. were running off a phase converter since hes miles away from any 3phase service but it only uses 9 amps per 110v 1ph leg under no load, but the multi-meter says its taking 250amps to start it!! its not going to get used that much so cost to operate isnt that big of deal

I work with 3 phase 480 volt on a daily basis. I haven't seen enough variables to make a confident reply, but I believe 250 amps would turn any residential wiring to liquid.
What voltage are you using?
Again I am not completely sure I have gathered everything from the previous posts but a 25 hp 480v motor should be about 30 - 40 amps.
And yes that is a huge lathe, I would have to build a shop around it.
-B-

its running on 220volts through a phase converter, and it only draws 250 amps for about 1 second.but comming off a 100amp service in the shop, it does dim the lights a bit ot start it, we have no intention of maxing out the motor when cutting. the 9 amps at 220v is just for the motor to keep itself turning, the meter being on the single phase side of the converter. but yes you are right it uses a substantial part of the shops electrical capacity to run it, upgrades are planned for the future.

Keep an eye for hot spots in the wiring from the motor all the way to the outside service.
Sounds like it will be ok.
I have a 9000 watt powder coat oven with a mechanical contactor to regulate temp, it kept burning up solid state components.
It keeps to 400 degrees +/- 2 degrees.
With the contactor smacking on and off about once a second at times the lights get a work out.
I dont use any other machine tools while baking parts, I am afraid I will burn up a board in the mill or lathe.

↑↑↑↑ Sorry for the ramble I was trying to explain the last sentence ↑↑↑↑

-B-

p.s. ☺ I dont want to scare you, just inform ☺

You could do some serious scale-up model building!!!! How about a huge traction engine? I guess that would be 1:1 though wouldn't it! ;D

Every time I look at a new, big piece of equipment my wife smacks me :)

It's probably a good thing for now because I am out of room as it is!!!

I am really glad that machine did not find its way to the scrap yard!

A 68 year old Monarch lathe is just beginning to break in

Mine's only 67 y/o, so I need to wait another year it seems. ;D

As an experiment, I put the 10EE in back gear and turned the speed control to the minimum. Spindle was turning about 5 RPM.

My smallest thread capability is 3TPI, although I have the gear train set for finer threads, meaning 12TPI is my min. without swapping the gears around.

as a matter of fact jadecy the next project is a half scale traction engine, the steel for the boiler is getting rolled this week, but really i suppose you could build all the turned pars for a full size,exept the fylwheel. and yes im also glad it was saved from the scrap man also, and he only gave abot 1 1/2 times srap value for it so that wouldnt be out of the question in some cases.
kvom i dont know how big of lathe a 10ee is but this one here only goes to 6rpm. also all the threads are cut with the same gears (up to 48 tpi) it just has a 2 speed gearbox a 3 speed gearbox and the regular 8-10 position change lever to acomplish that, i suppose they did this to keep from having to man handle the gears i dont know how big they would be. however this machine does have its issues, its had a hard past 20 years at the equipment dealer.

On the electrical connections:

I do hope you have this converter 'direct' connected from the service panel. Often this is called hard wired. If you are using an outlet, be aware that many residential houses use a daisy chain wiring scheme and you may be pulling all that start up current through several twisted connections somewhere else in the wall or ceiling. This will work for awhile but sooner or later one of the connections will super heat from oxidation and a fire will occur inside the walls.

Warning, warning warning. It won't happen the first time, maybe not at all, but could destroy your house. be certain with your power wiring for that monster.

An observer of many electrical problems caused by faulty connections,
Kermit

Lock the door cause I'll come with my buddy chris and we'll carry it away in his Prius. My only worry is if it'll stain the back seat, cause it's old and all. :Doh:

yeah kermit its hard wired on a dedicated 60amp circut, had to run a new conduit and its running on 0guage i believe wire. the owner of an electrical contractor in town was over there the other day to figure out was wrong with the new(1950's) horizontal mill ,wich is on the same circiut but ony one can be run at a time through the phase converter, and he didnt see anything wrong with it, wasnt much could bewrong with it really. ive been in construction for about 5 years and the old mans been in it for about 25 15 of that being the gereral superintendant so things of this nature been done before, now the wiring on the back of the afore mentioned mill is another story(quite complicated)

good fun ttrikalin whats a prius weigh 3000lbs?

setting up for some clock pivot work are we? ;D

Dave

Latest posts

Back