New Toy Shipment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I happened to mention to a few of the guys I work with that I'd planned to
order a couple of things from my favorite import tool dealer.
Within a few days my $25 order had grown to over $200.

I arrived today.
CMEOrder.jpg

All I really needed out of that batch was a 1/16" end mill.
062EndMillAjpg.jpg

Knowing how I am with such things,
I bought solid carbide... Double ended.....
And TWO of them! :D

Rick

Thanks a lot Rick! I was just about to order one of those 1/16" end mills but since my latest Enco order arrived today I'll have to postpone it. I just can't shell out another $200 right now :big:. My Enco order started out as a $6 deburring set. Darn thing cost me over $100 (oh sure they threw in some other stuff too! ::))

Cheers,
Phil

I got some of those double ended cutters from Nick Carter the Taig guy, they weren't expensive, seem good quality and were made in England, Touch wood I haven't broken one yet!

Giles

Philjoe5 said:
I was just about to order one of those 1/16" end mills
Cheers,
Phil

On 1/16 inch endmills I think I'd order more than ONE. :)
...lew...

Hi

As the title says, quick & dirty.... nowhere near as nice as Florian's, but it will do for now.

Here in Canada, Canadian Tire stores carry a low-end house brand of tools called "Jobmate"... their version of a rotary tool comes on sale for less than $10 from time to time, so I'm up to 2 of them now (figure at that price I don't really mind how long they last, but the first one is well over a year old now, and still running just fine)

Here's one with the Sears Dremel clone next to it for size comparison..
100_2167.jpg

A chunk of 2" x 1/4" ali angle, clearance drilled for the standard Taig 10-32 capscrews, attached to the cross slide then drilled in place so the mounting hole is centred the same height as the spindle, tapped 3/4-16 (conveniently, the same thread as a Taig spindle, so I had previously acquired this tap) as, if you remove the little plastic gadget that is meant to keep your fingers out of the business end, you will find it has a moulded-in 3/4-16 thread!

100_2166.jpg

100_2165.jpg

Through sheer good luck as opposed to good planning, the thread start worked out that the tool ended up sitting face-up with-out any tweaking at all... had presumed that it would need at least some relieving of the mating face to achieve this.

In the photo, the rod in the collet is a tungsten welding rod that I want to slice into little pieces for electrical contacts... it laughed at HSS tooling, wore out the cut-off disc in the rotary tool, but has surrendered to a diamond wheel.

Cheers, Joe

Back