New Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new bigger lathe for a Christmas present to myself. without starting a fight or breaking any internet protocol does anyone have one like this:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=20492615&PMAKA=RN510-2585

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen this model, and would it be suitable for making small engines. I have always had good luck with Enco items plus they are offering free shipping until the end of the year, which is a bonus, plus no sales tax like Grizzly. This has to be better than the HF 9x20 that I have been using for the last couple of years. I know that opinions are like elbows and just about everyone has one but I was always taught to "Ask the Man Who Owns One" for advice. I think that I could get it into the basement to sit along side of my Grizzly 6x26 milling machine.

Jack:
In some ways the bigger the better on machines. From what I have heard the quality of the larger import machines are better than the little ones built for the hobby market. That lathe is larger than found in most hobby shops. One thing you need to watch is high end RPMs, the smaller the stock and the smaller the drill bit the more speed is required to get proper cutting speeds and good finishes. The larger the lathe chuck the lower max rpm it will handle safely .
On the flip side That lathe is likely to have a generous spindle bore allowing good sized stock to pass though the headstock and it will likely allow the use of 5-c Collets the are are a lot easier to find than the 3-c size. Do your homeworks and ask yourself and other lots of questions. I guss it depends on what size model you are planning on building.
Tin
Tin

Jack,
If it suits the purpose, and you are happy with your purchase, get it.
Unless of course one of the members already has one and gives a negative comment, then it is decision time.

I am just looking for a new lathe to replace my ageing 10" Atlas, and the one that is catching my eye is very similar to the one you have chosen.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/crusader_lathe.htm

Plus I can remount my collet chuck and 4 jaw self centreing to it, just by buying new backplates.

My miller choice will be the same one you have, but 3 phase and full 3axis DRO.

I would like to go larger but the space I have won't allow it.

Nice christmas present, enjoy it.

John

Jack my good friend Will has that exact model. He got it 5 years ago and right after that I sold my 9x20 and got a model real close to that one from Wholesale tool. Will has been very happy with his and it has performed flawlessly. I choose mine because it could pick it up locally and inspect it in the crate before I brought it home.

Jack I don't own that model lathe, but I do know that it is sold
by many vendors at greatly varying prices.
Harbor Freight's version is almost $500 less.
I'm sure Grizzly has the same model in their catalog as well.
The price differences are not without reason. There will be
features and accessories added or missing from vendor to vendor.
Check out all the options.

Rick

Jack, personally, I don't think you would go wrong as long it it does everything you need it to do. I bought a Grizzly a while back and have been very pleased with it. The HF store close to here has a machine that is very comparable to what you have highlighted on the floor, and I looked it over pretty close the other day and it isn't a bad machine at all. If I were in the market, it would definitely get serious consideration.

As Rake said, check out all of the options as these machines are usually made by one or two manufacturers for Jet, Wilton, Grizzly, Enco, etc. and the features do change from unit to unit depending on the requirements of the vendor that is selling them under their name.

One last thing, it looks like you are on Santa's good list this year! ;)

Latest posts

Back