My swash plate design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LCT

block.jpg

Sorry the quality isn't too good. Hopefully from this picture you get the basic idea that is in my head. I intend to add another much smaller piston that will actually act as a pump. Hopefully, after running the steam through a radiator, I'll pump the water back into my boiler.
piston.jpg

A roller bearing will go at the top to cut down on friction. I may have to cut a groove into the swash plate to make the bearing turn as the engine goes around.
wire.jpg

The timing will all be handled by troughs cut into the center shaft. I figure I'll make them small at first, then lengthen them later to get a good power to efficency ratio.
cut.jpg

There's a tempkin bearing at the bottom that keeps the shaft from being pushed out of the engine, and a roller bearing will be at the top.
I'm hoping this is a very compact and powerful engine. :)

LCT,

That is a very similar design to a hydraulic swashplate motor used on helicopters for rotating the head and parking the blades (not while flying of couse), diminutive size, massive power.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
LCT,

That is a very similar design to a hydraulic swashplate motor used on helicopters for rotating the head and parking the blades (not while flying of couse), diminutive size, massive power.

Bogs

That's very good to hear. Obviously I borrowed the concept from other pictures I've seen, but I really don't have a clue about how much power/effeciency I can expect. Mostly, I'm shooting for simple to build, lightweight, high power. I'm confident in the light weight, and simple to build. I guess I won't know about the rest until I build it. :)

LCT
The swash plate engine is something I've made previous inquiries on. It's on my list of future projects, albeit behind a couple of longer term builds. John shared a great video of a running swash plate engine on another thread, somewhere on the board. Perhaps he can repost the link.

I'll be watching your progress with great interest. I love it when someone else removes the stumps in a field that I'm eventually gonna be plowing.

Steve

Latest posts

Back