My Finished Wyvern

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1

Mike1
Reaction score
I have been building the Wyvern which to me was a bit of a challenge, I have now got it finished and running, I don't think I can better it's running settings and I am calling it finished, when I say challenge my other engines have been Hit and Miss which I think are a easier build

[ame]http://youtu.be/v3fXaIlMjso[/ame]

Last edited:
Good job Mike, Looks good and runs nice.Thm:
I hope I can get mine to run that well.
Nice job on the film clip too.

GUS

Thanks Gus, I am sure you will have a good running engine with your Wyvern, hope to hear soon that you have your engine up and running.

Mike.

Beautiful job Mike, it runs so smooth! You must be very pleased with it! My 10yo daughter just remarked she loves the sound of it ticking over.

cheers, Ian

Hi I have recently stated a Wyvern . Not sure how to machine the cylinder though there is a lot of metal to remove and the finished item looks fragile .

Hi. For my Wyvern I bored out the cylinder liner mounted in a four jaw chuck, I then made a mandrel to fit the cylinder bore (a good friction fit) and finished the outside diameter and the liner lip with the mandrel mounted between centres.

Mike.

Hi
A stupid question but was the Mandrel simply a piece of bar turned down to give a good fit . I have a piece of 1.5" MS .
ps I am from Cumbria

Hi. Not a stupid question, yes it can be a MS bar turned down to a fit, or as I did I used a 5/8" dia bar with two 1 1/2" dia disc's Loctited onto the bar then turned to fit the liner.

Mike.

Liner Mandrel.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you I will try your method it looks good . I will also use my 4jaw chuck it will hold the cast iron bar much better than a 3 jaw .

Latest posts

Back