Moving to Oz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
Regarding sympathy for Dave Steamer's winter and the invites to move to Oz, a little story:

Two Aussies are walking downtown taking in the sights of their home city (Sydney or Perth or ... )
"You know there are so many #*%#ing South Africans here you'd think you was in bloody London

;D That would be Perth - it's the first place the boat stops wobbling!

Haha, actually I have met very few South Africans*
However, this part of the world isn't called Little England for nothing!

* Edit: jokingly pronounced 'Seth Efricuns'
I love how the vowel swapping nations of the world, South Africans, Kiwi's and us Aussies, like to tease each other about it ;D

Sounds like I would fit right in.....us from mass don't use our "R's" much

I needed a good laugh.....
Dave

steamer said:
Sounds like I would fit right in.....us from mass don't use our "R's" much

Actually, the Rs are conserved. The rs dropped from such words as 'cah' (car) and 'yahd' (yard) resurface as suffixes to such words as 'arear' (area) and 'Cubar' (Cuba). Anyone who has listened to Kennedy's speeches will know whereof I speak.

That's if you come from Boston
Its slightly different in north central. But not drastically

Dave

steamer said:
That's if you come from Boston
Its slightly different in north central. But not drastically

Dave

I thought if you came from Boston that would make you Irish ;D ;D

Peter

Perth is a realy nice place to Visit I did last year for a month,(son lives there)

About 5 years ago I spotted an add that said Australia was very short of mechanical engineers and mechanical designers, and would actually pay to move you there. Having already been a Canadian for 60 years, and being rather bored with it, I thought maybe I'd go to "The Land down Under" for the next 60. The application was free, so I applied for it. The dirty buggers came back the next week and told me I was too old to become a an Ausie!!! I have been very miffed with the Australian government for the last 5 years, but its okay now.This summer I got my first Old age and Canada pension cheques, and I am so overwhelmed with the thought that the Canadian government is going to pay me this munificent amount of money every month UNTIL I DIE for just standing around and breathingthat I've decided to stay here.----Brian

Australia is a funny place, I've been here for over 30 years and it still surprises me sometimes.
One of the early surprises happened way back in the early 1980's; I applied for a job as a Draftsman with the Aust Government. Having been previously employed by the UK Gov. as a Senior Design Draftsman, I thought I had a good shot at it. I didn't get an interview, which according to the person I spoke to was because they didn't recognise my UK qualifications. Fair enough I thought. So about a month later the same mob advertised for Trainee Draftsmen. As I was out of work it seemed like a good idea to apply, imagine my surprise when, again, I didn't get an interview, because I was overqualified!!
Catch 22 I think its called.
cheers
Bill Pudney

We have the worst government in the world I am sure!! I am dealing with my local government at the moment to replace my existing shed. Apparently I am not alwed to build within 6m of my back fence? The shed I am going to replace is 1.8m from the back fence and they approved that. I keep going back get a different person everytime along with a different answer.
Brock

Draughtsmen? The blokes that forget to shut the door behind 'em!

tel said:
Draughtsmen? The blokes that forget to shut the door behind 'em!

If I translated that right, in the States they'd be known as "Checkersmen" ::)

Bez

Tel wrote..."Draughtsmen? The blokes that forget to shut the door behind 'em!"
Hey come on, its taken me 30 years to get used to spelling "draughtsman" (the way I was taught) as "draftsman" (the spelling in my adopted country), now you're just getting me confused!!
cheers
bp

."Draughtsmen? The blokes that forget to shut the door behind 'em!"
Hey come on, its taken me 30 years to get used to spelling "draughtsman" (the way I was taught) as "draftsman" (

"draughtsman" English/Canada spell checker says "draughtboard"
"draughtsman" English/UK spell checker says "draughtsman"
"draughtsman" English/USA spell checker says "draughtswoman"

"draftsman" In order to be politically correct it should probably be "draftsperson or "draughtsperson" according to the English/UK spell checker.

So take your pick on how you want to spell it. Just use the right spell checker. :big: :big: :big:

Cheers :)

Don

Well slap me sideways ::)

Is that Forced Draught or Induced Draught. Nobody will convince me it's Natural Draught or even Natural Draft.

Draught - Current of air in a confined space.

Draftsman - One who drafts documents

Draughtsman - One who makes drawings, plans,or sketches.

Best Regards
Bob

So what do you call someone, like me, that does both documents and drawings? ;D

DraftsDraughtsman?

Well I still reckon a Draughtsman is a bloke that creates a draught! Usually by leaving the door open.

Let's not go into draught horses tho!

/// said:
So what do you call someone, like me, that does both documents and drawings? ;D

DraftsDraughtsman?

Busy man ;D

Best Regards
Bob

... they are the critters that sometimes pull a PLOUGH!

Latest posts

Back