More on Tap holders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lew Hartswick

Reaction score
I think I posted one of these before but here is the way to make them. ( in batches ) :)
...lew...
9-Tapholders.jpg

Tappingonamill.jpg

Abunchofholders.jpg

Lew,
Thanks for the posting especially the clear pictures. This is a "must do" project,

Cheers,
Phil

I must be dumb. What holds the tap in the holder & why hex stock? I see a little dimple on some of the holders are they set screws?
sorry to be so slow.
thanks

gr8life said:
I must be dumb. What holds the tap in the holder & why hex stock? I see a little dimple on some of the holders are they set screws?
sorry to be so slow.
thanks

The little dimples you refer to, are grub screws, which hold onto the square end of the tap, so as to be able to drive the tap into the work-piece.

regards greenie

gr8life said:
sorry to be so slow.
thanks
Yes the set screws are to hold the tap on the square.
The hex stock is to be able to finish the tapping with an open end wrench. I start the tap in the mill
by turning the power on and with the end of the tap near the start of the hole, turn power off and engage
the tap with one hand on the brake and feed the tap in as it rotates when it gets in far enough, if it's
still rotating, hit the brake to stop. Sometimes it's not in far enough so lock the quill and crack the jaws
loose and finish with a wrench. If not using a keyless chuck, retighten chuck and reverse toback out,
otherwise have to use the wernch to back out.
Now I'll admit the first time or two I saw that being done by a friend I was more than a little scared
but after a little "screwing up of courage" I tried it and WOW what a way to tap. Peice of cake.
...lew...

What's the smallest size tap you've done that with, Lew?

I can't conceive of power tapping anything smaller than #4, especially so on a part in which I have several hours of machining invested.

#6 I think, A lot of #8 and biger LOTS of 1/4"
Yea I think a #4 would be tricky and smaller forgetit. :)
...lew...

That's what I figured. I just didn't want the guys who are making tiny engines with < #4 fittings to get the idea that this was a viable procedure for their work.

M4 is as small as I'm game to go under power.

Latest posts

Back