Model engineer show at Royal Ascot 19-21st september 2008

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Some days I work on the traction engines from 5am to 10 or 11PM depending on what my better half has on. Most days I like to get 5 hours in shared between real work and model engineering. Im also aware that if I go over the time I set myslef for a build I tend to get a bit itchy about starting the next build.

The people I really admire are the ones that put 20 years into a locomotive build. Now thats dedication to a hobby.

I used to feel like that going to a model engineer exhibition. Id look at Cherry Hills work and think it was futile trying to achieve her standard. It wasnt untill I talked to her that I realised its only a hobby to her as well and she gets the same pleasure as we all do from finishing an engine.

The real buzz comes from dragging a troup of cub scouts around a car park on a cold autum evening behind a hissing and steaming traction engine. Kids that have never seen steam tend to all have teh same look on their faces its worth a mint to see it.

That's just cool!! ;D

Everyone should have one :)

Maybe when I'm a little older and possibly have a bit more time and patience..... Well you never know ;D

Thanks for the Vid' Kevin.

Ralph.

compound driver 2 said:
Our boy driving the 2 inch traction engine

8) ............. it really should be mandatory in school :mad:

CC

he enjoys the traction engine but his first love is the loco. We do on average 8 or 9 miles a weekend on the track and he's starting to do a mile or so on his own. The tracks 1/4 mile oval with both 3.5 and 5 inch gauge, nice area and a brilliant way to spend the day with your boy.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyLhRXPDRQ[/ame]

That's beautiful CD2. I look forward to steaming on a quiet lake with my kids.....

Dave

You can't top that CD2...

I worry that this hobby will die as we do.
Seeing that young mans enthusiasm makes me believe
it will be here for at least another 40 years.

Rick

I must admit I rather like the steam launch! Thats a project id love to take on given the time.
Whats the hull made from and is the twin your own design?

Our local club, the same club that runs the track we use has an average age of 68 years
with me and Jackie (my other half) being the young ones. It is a struggle keeping kids interested in steam
given all the distractions of computers and game stations but I think our boy has the bug now so I hope steam will
be with hime for a good few years.

CD, that's just Too much fun for anyone.... little loco' big track.... I will have to get myself to the stage where I could build such a thing.... I'd better make a few more little bits first.... Maybe 1-200 should do! Your lad doesn't know how lucky he is...

Dave, same to you and your Kids.... Your launch is a very good looking piece of equipment, Has it been christened yet?

Ralph.

Hi Guys,

CD2,DH
The Hull is cold molded ply over full frames. The basic sketch came from Steamboats and Modern Steam Launches, but was extensivly redesigned and modified by me. The length is 25' x 5' beam
The Engine was designed and built by me also and includes design features including piston valves with inside admission on the HP and outside admission on the LP, Box links, and pressure lube on the connecting rod big ends. She should be good for 2 HP @ 600 rpm. ( 1.5 x 3.0 x 2.5)

The boiler is based on a Blackstaffe design but slightly bigger with 4 sq feet of economizer. No superheat as it's too much trouble than it's worth.

My son and daughter are very happy that I am coming to the end of the construction of this beast. They really want a ride in her this year. She has been Christened, but I have not had the whole thing under her own steam yet. Hopefully before falls end.

Her name is SL "Rushforth" besides being my mothers middle name, and in that context a noun, it describes my philosophy of life.( the verb)....don't wait to do the things you love, Rushforth! and do it today! .......hence the building of the boat..... which ironically took 13 years to get to this point....go figure.

Back