Mill head counterweight ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am thinking of making a counterweight for my mill head to make it easier to crank up and down.

If I do this, will it have any negative effects, because is is taking weight away from the machine?

Kel

I added one to my modified X2 mill http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8550.0 and am quite happy with the results. The counter weight on mine weighs the same as the mill head - 38#, to my way of thinking that adds weight. I also believe the center of gravity stays pretty much the same because as the head moves one direction the CW moves the other balancing each other out. The nice part is I can use one finger and twirl the handles to move the head in either direction.

Bill

I understand your concern about reducing the weight of the mill, but it really is not a problem. My mill sits on a light weight workstand. My counterweight consists of two steel plates used to mount railroad ties and together they weigh a little more than the mill head (if I raise the head until it comes off the z-axis rack I have to pull down on the head to get it to re-engage). The counterweights are hung from pulleys mounted on the ceiling joists so that the only effective weight left on the workstand is the mill column and base. In use the mill table doesn't move or shift at all.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back