Memory card / camera question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generatorgus

Reaction score
I would like to be able to view pictures taken in one brand of camera in another camera.
IE: I have two digitals and my wife has one , all different brands. Using a card reader in my computer can I rip the photo files on a "master memory card" so that I can view any of the pictures in other brand cameras? I'm buying a Nikon Coolpix with a decent size screen and I would like to be able to view other pictures on it. Any ideas?
GUS

Hi, The answer to your quetion is to upload all pics from all cards to one file on the computer providing they are all in JPG format (which most digital camera's are).
Once they are all together them burn them to the crad that fits the camera you wish to view them with. Hope you can understand this and that it helps. Mike ;D

Hi GUS

Its sadly a rather complicated question with no one correct answer. What Mike says is basically correct, if you copy the files from one card to another or have one shared card then each camera will have access to everything the other camera did.

However......(you knew there was going to be a but)... each camera will be made to read its own files. So for example you have two cameras. One is a 6 Mega-pixel camera the other is 10 Mega-pixel. The 6MP camera will be unlikely to open the 10MP pictures, while it is more likely that the 10MP will be able to open the 6MPs pictures.

The main thing is to double check the file naming and folder naming, most cameras will put pictures in a folder called DCIM, if you get the folder naming the same on both cards then this will give the cameras a fighting chance to at least find the files.

I have a couple of cameras I can try it with if you like?

Cheers

Guy's, thanks for the replies. I figured it would get a bit complicated, trying to make a camera act like a computer.
My main reason for wanting to do that is I collect antique light plants and vintage diesel engines. At many of the antique machinery shows I attend, I'm often asked to ID machines that others have, usually by verbal description. I have a fairly large amount of info, pictures, ads wiring diagrams, etc.stored in my computer and I figure it would be helpful to be able to reference things in the field. I'll mess around with your suggestions when I get my new camera, as it has a larger screen than my others. I was also considering something like a digital picture frame, but they don't seem to have much portability. Maybe I'd be better off with a small laptop, they are approaching the price range of the average digital camera. I think Walmart has one advertised for a couple hundred bucks. The laptop would also be useful in my shop.
GUS

Just another thought Gus, Garmin GPS units have a feature that you can display/view JPEG formatted picture files on. If you have one of them you could use that instead of a laptop and you would also know exactly where you are or how to get to where you aren't with the same device ;D I don't know if any others will will do this or not.

Back