Machinist's Workshop magazine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capjak;
Their number is 1-800-447-7367 in the USA. Others call 231-946-3712.

Dean

I just got back from the local Barnes & Noble. I bought HSM and Machinist's Workshop. I'm hoping to be surprised by MW. However, it has a gunsmithing job as the cover photo. :'(

I'll report my impressions after I get to give them a look-see.

Times are definitely changing. I do suspect that there are a declining number of contributors to the magazines. Rudy Kouhoupt, Philip Duclose, and Frank McClean authored regular articles for these mags and they have all passed on. And I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind. I still like to find the magazines in my mailbox and look through them with anticipation, but have to agree that the good articles are fewer and farther between. However, I'll continue to subscribe for those few good articles that make my day.

Chuck

Just looked through both HSM and MW magazines purchased this evening at Barnes & Noble.

HSM was what I was expecting. Somewhat disappointing. Although I did find a couple of interesting articles that I will go back and read completely. Found some interesting adverts too.

MW, Like HSM had a lot of stuff I have zero interest in. The gunsmithing articles (2 of them) were skipped over. I did find an article or two I will also go back and read in detail.

Not sure I can say I'd subscribe to either. Perhaps after I look them over in depth I'll feel more strongly one way or other.

I also went to the home page for their live steam magazine and requested my free copy. We'll see what I think of that once I get the chance to look it over.

While looking at these two mags it sure does seem like they could indeed benefit from submissions from us home shop types.

Maybe one of us is the next Rudy K. or Phil Duclose....

Unfortunately magazines go in cycles, when they first come out they have oodles of content to work on, lets face it they are writing on a blank page, as they progress that content gets used up and there now becomes a void.

Nothing is new in engineering except materials and electronics, everything that can be invented has been done 100 tears ago and rehashing will always come round again.

MEW is going thru the same boat because they have spun the best off Model Engineer, their core selection of authors is dying off and it's these people who get credit for trawling back issues and ideas and putting them into print.

New authors have a hard act to follow with little new content.

The only salvation a magazine has is to get new authors from the ranks who will shape the next cycle of the mag.

John S.

I have subscribed to both HSM and MW for 4 yrs. now and will continue to do so. Granted, the older issues from back when the gurus were still alive were better than the new ones but they still have value to me. You can't take the internet on the "throne" with you now can you? ;) (Well, you can but it's not near as comfortable.

The really good articles are fewer and farther between but they are there. I'm not particularly interested in the gunsmithing articles in MW but to me their authors as a whole are meticulous, very experienced machinists, good writers and photographers. Many of the techniques shown are transferable to what I'm trying to do in my shop. If nothing else, they showed me that I'm not even close to being ready to do do a bit of 'smithing for pay like I daydreamed about a couple years ago.

I also feel like I am supporting the hobby and the HSM BBS by subscribing to them. I tend to do that for whatever hobby I'm consumed with at the time.

Here's a challenge for you that are complaining about the contents of MW & HSM.

Come up with 6 articles for each magazine you think the membership on HMEM would be most ecstatic about and would want to make them get a subscription.

And by the way your deadline is Friday Nov. 6, 2009 at midnight. Good luck.

Regards,
Bernd

Got to ask - does anyone have any idea what their publication rates are for articles? Got plenty of stuff photographed up and content easy to write, but wouldn't give it away...

Alan

I subscribe to all three HSM, MW, DM

I read every artical. A gun smith write-up may contain how to radius a firing pin. I think how to radius a push rod for a IC engine.

Look at these articals as general knowledge not limited to what the author has wrote

Re: the old authors passing on.

I wonder if some of the folks today who otherwise would have submitted articles to the magazine instead find fulfillment posting their projects on internet forums. Those authors of the past that were good were certainly not motivated solely by the money they received. I'm sure it was helpful, but they did it for their love of the hobby and of teaching others. If they could have been posting on forums instead of writing articles, maybe we wouldn't have seen their names in the magazine....

Scott

applescotty said:
I wonder if some of the folks today who otherwise would have submitted articles to the magazine instead find fulfillment posting their projects on internet forums. Those authors of the past that were good were certainly not motivated solely by the money they received. I'm sure it was helpful, but they did it for their love of the hobby and of teaching others. If they could have been posting on forums instead of writing articles, maybe we wouldn't have seen their names in the magazine....

I would not be shocked if this was indeed the case. With the proliferation of forum sites like this for just about every conceivable hobby it's bound to get a share of what may have been printed.

These sites offer the author an immediate venue to display one's work as opposed to waiting months for a magazine article to hit the stands.

Twmaster said:
Alan, According to http://www.wordhustler.com/publications/5899/The-Home-Shop-Machinist.html HSM pays between $40 and $70 for a submission.

Just to clarify, that is $40-$70 per published page, not per submission. I don't recall all the details but they also pay some additional per photo, and extra if you supply finished drawings. You can email them to request a copy of their "authors guidelines", it will outline all of the details.

Twmaster said:
I would not be shocked if this was indeed the case. With the proliferation of forum sites like this for just about every conceivable hobby it's bound to get a share of what may have been printed.

These sites offer the author an immediate venue to display one's work as opposed to waiting months for a magazine article to hit the stands.

Add to that when you publish on a forum you get the choice how it's presented and laid out and not cut to fit the cloth.

John S.

Apparently, the number of article submissions is on the rise. I've corresponded with HSM/MW editor George B. quite a bit lately on the 2 articles I'm sending him and he says all the issues are finalized (as far as articles go) all the way out to the Fall of next year!

He is a very helpful and encouraging editor and responds to emails quickly. He uses Solidworks for all the beautiful drawings you see in the mags. In just a few emails with file attachments, we were able to work out which file type made my old version of TurboCAD Pro 3D drawings compatible with SW and he assured me I'd get acknowledgement (and the pay) for the CAD work.

I don't know what they pay for CAD drawings but if it's anything close to what I used to get in the model aircraft mags, it's worth the trouble. Not a huge amount but enough to buy a few toys now & then. ;D

Back