LFA 400 drill chuck playing up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njl

Reaction score
My LFA 400 drill chuck that I use on my milling machine has suddenly become very hard to open and close. At times it binds so much I have to use the key to adjust it. Rocking it back and forth with the key the binding point moves so I suspect that it has ingested some swarf. I've tried blowing it out with the air duster, spraying it with isopropal alcohol and giving it a good oil but all to no avail.

So I guessing I need to strip it down and clean it out, the problem is I'm not sure how to take it apart, anyone ever done one of these? I've seen some jacobs chuck info which says on their chucks to use a press to push the adjuster ring towards jaws is it the same procedure for an LFA chuck?

Nick

HI ? if the chuck is similar to a Jacobs 1 go to the Jacobs web page
theirs instructions of haw to dismantel the chuck

Thanks KRV3000, I've seen that info and I reckon it might be the same for my chuck so will give it a go once I get my current build finished.

Nick

Hi Nick

Before disassembling, you could try to immerse the chuck in thin solvent that can evaporate. Make sure the solvent fills it completely, and that you can turn it inside the solvent container to have the jaws pointing down. Then start wiggling and turning it open and closed; most likely the swarf will work it's way out assisted by gravity.

If that works, clean the solvent off and leave it a bit for the rest to evaporate, then oil it with thin oil again.

Regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold, nice idea.

If I can avoid stripping it down so much the better so I'll give this method a try first and see what gives.

Nick

Latest posts

Back