Lathe tools gift

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickharris

Reaction score
I have been gifted a "collection" of lathe tools by a now retired machinist. Most are standard HSS tools although many have some strange shapes ground into them to suit particular jobs he was doing. They had a tool maker on site although some tools got "altered" to suite the job.

I have a selection of carbide tips of many different shapes some of which I have no idea what I may use them for - Any clues would be welcome.

DSCF1618.jpg

Why the odd looking hooks on this tip

DSCF1619.jpg

No hole in this tip?

DSCF1620.jpg

DSCF1621.jpg

I guess this is a round tipped tool - Why is there araiosed section in what I assume to be the cutting tip.

DSCF1622.jpg

Apparently he did several jobs that required grooves in the work of varying widths - These tools are all marked and vary only very slightly in tip width - There are actually about twice this many.

DSCF1629.jpg

Some of the tools are VERY chunky

DSCF1631.jpg

This box contains the tools that I have little chance of getting into my mini lathe - Is there a use for over sized HSS material?

The carbide with the hooks is for a threading tool holder.

Wes

The first two inserts you show are for threading.
They are clamped perpendicular to the thread in their holder.

The third insert is for grooving.
It's holder take a special cam lock wrench that spreads the end of the
grooving blade open to change the inserts.

The "chunky" HSS tool you show is a form tool.
By the look of it, I'd believe it was the tool ground to cut the radius
on the outer edge of roller chain sprocket teeth.

Rick

2nd and 3rd photos are a grooving tip with chip breaker
that is a nice set of grooving bit I would guess at least some of them correspond to sizes need for retaining rings
as far as the big cutter I have some of those too. Maybe you can play lets make a deal with someone with a big lathe.
Tin

rickharris said:
This box contains the tools that I have little chance of getting into my mini lathe - Is there a use for over sized HSS material?

Find someone who has a machine they fit into? :) They appear to be about 1/2" or 12mm - these would fit my machine well. ;)

-Sparky

Rick,

The larger tool blanks can be used in your milling setups as parallels and holding spacers. You should find that they are very accurately ground and some could be used as matched pairs. I use blanks, even when they have tips ground on them, for this sort of thing all the time. Sometimes parallels are just a little too long.

John

sparky961 said:
Find someone who has a machine they fit into? :) They appear to be about 1/2" or 12mm - these would fit my machine well. ;)

-Sparky

they cost me nothing - shipping to Canada ???? otherwise if you come and pick them up their yours!

:D

Thanks for the information - Anyone make use of the inserts? I doubt I will ever get or make a holder for them let along get a lathe that big.

if your interested I will post more pictures there are quite a few of them. some different designs to those shown.

Generous friend, Rick and a nice haul. Don't be in too big a hurry to eliminate things. We've all looked back and slapped our foreheads on that one..... LOL

Steve

Cedge said:
Generous friend, Rick and a nice haul. Don't be in too big a hurry to eliminate things. We've all looked back and slapped our foreheads on that one..... LOL

Steve

Like tidying up and heaving out the junk you haven't touched for 2 or 3 years - Within a week you need that special gear/motor/felt pad etc.

I dumped 2 3 phase motors and reductio gear boxes a couple of years ago - just didn't have the space any more - You can guess the rest. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back