Introducing myself

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sidecar_jon

I'm Jon and i live in Cornwall UK. Generally I'm in theory, a House Husband but often i neglect the son and wife for pottering in my beloved shed. I say pottering, as unfortunately though i very much admire you engineer types, as a friend once commented i lack the temperament for the necessary precision to make and engine, or indeed anything much that requires more than big hammers and soft solder. And i have trouble even remembering how i did things when asked to reproduce things!...Though in the past i have beaten copper bowls, made brass and copper jewlery, made couple of brass spiked dog collors, published a magazine, painted in oils, etc, drilled holes in my hand, and nearly exploded the shed with and over heated cigarette lighter..... so I'm not without entertainment value if not advice.

Welcome Jon
You'll fit in just fine. This is a good group for types like you and me. Using ambition and exuberance beyond my skills and talent has taken me along some interesting routes, although blowing up the shop is a bit more adventursome than I hope to get...LOL. Welcome aboard, sir.

Steve

Welcome Jon,

I too have big hammers, however, most of the time I use screwdrivers to modify my hands and fingers. :)

Kenny

Welcome to the site Jon,
I too am just like an accident waiting for somewhere to happen, so you are not alone, if you enjoy it, do it, don't take any notice of what other people say.
You will fit in well here, even if it is only for your entertainment value alone, but I am sure you have a lot of experiences you can share with us.

John

Thanks for the welcome.

Being at the centre of a small explosion teaches you many things. Don't light a blow torch and drop the lighter on the vice top for one, but also. It trims formerly bushy eye brows neatly, burning hair makes a mysterious cracking and smells awful and its quite peaceful at the epicentre, all i heard was the metal bits of the lighter whizzing past like a bullet and bouncing off the shed roof.

Every little accident has its perks, just think of the money you saved not having to go to the barbers for a haircut. Pays for the cost of the lighter and still have change for a drink to get over it.
But joking aside, we all have to be careful when we are in our workshops, it might be hours before someone misses you (in my case days).

John

HI
There was a guy recently left the valve open on his propane bottle over night went to the workshop in the morning struck a light and blew the shed down.

Dont know how bad he was injured as the report was in one of the model engineer mags. Just goes to show how bad gas can be if its mistreated. Talking of that i must lay off the hot peppers!

Cheers and welcome

kevin

Jon:
welcome to the board. House husband huh sounds like a dream job. Why not take the son the the shed with you and show him how to blow things up. er I mean make things. My son is almost 18 and has been Helping since he was two.
Never had an explosion but have had a couple of scares over the years. Good of you to post an intro.
Tin
Life is what happens while we are planning our hobby projects!

Oh the seven year old son does "help" and i educate him with unsuitable things, yesterday we were sending bottle corks into orbit with vinegar and baking soda!... being a house Husband isn't all beer and skittles. I have to hoover round and do the washing up, plumb in a new bath, fix the car, mend the washing machine etc...

HI John

What are you interests engine wise and do you have much in the way of tooling?

have to say after a week standing at the lathe id settle for a month of house work lol.

Cheers Kevin

compound driver said:
HI John

What are you interests engine wise and do you have much in the way of tooling?

have to say after a week standing at the lathe id settle for a month of house work lol.

Cheers Kevin

Engine wise, steam (well looking at steam engines at Vintage shows etc) Sterling engines (tried to make a couple but... well with no success) and fiddling with the cars Kubota engine sometimes.

Tooling, big hammers, little hammers (for beating copper) Pillar drill (very cheap one) Scroll saw, jig saw (for automata etc) Big blow torch for copper and soldering. I do have a lathe, but its under the bench, its very very old and to tell the truth i cant use it!. And various files punches and drills (worn out or clogged with brass!). A vinegar bucket for pickling copper. A packet of Copper Sulphate for next copper etching project...

Jon:
I have a day job to pay the bills and still have to do plumbing ,cooking,dish washing , jewelry repair ,knife sharpening etc.

A Stirling engine is not a good starter project . get a few simple oscillators under you belt first.
this book may help
http://freeforums4u.com/viewtopic.php?t=75&mforum=homemodelengine

A seven year old Hmm build him a little turbine engine from an Altoids Candy Tin should take an hour or so. I posted pictures here someplace I will make sure you have them.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Jon:
I have a day job to pay the bills and still have to do plumbing ,cooking,dish washing , jewelry repair ,knife sharpening etc.

A seven year old Hmm build him a little turbine engine from an Altoids Candy Tin should take an hour or so. I posted pictures here someplace I will make sure you have them.
Tin

yes but no one in their right mind would employ me! (not exactly true, people have paid me to work, and not regretted it, i hope!) Its just the wife has more earning power than me.... so i try to make stuff to sell.

Turbine engine?... is that like a rough turbine/fan powered by candle heat?.. or a Heros engine?

Jon:
it is a hero engine . See "The easiest? Engine to build, Atoids Turbine" just posted in the plans section. I thought it was posted before but cant find it.
I am sure you could build a candle turbine as well.
Enjoy
Tin

Here's a version of Heron's engine that requires very little fabrication to get running.

shop011.jpg

The body is a copper toilet tank float. Solder the seam to prevent it popping apart when under pressure. Make a fitting that threads into the threaded hole meant to attach it to the toilet valve apparatus. Solder into this fixture two copper tubes, bent as shown. Into the ends of the tubes solder small brass pieces pierced with a small drill to form jets. Suspend using a wire and one of the swivels that fishermen use to prevent kinks in their lines.

Fill about one quarter full with water, apply blowtorch and watch her spin.

mklotz thanks a lot ..all good suggestions most welcome..im looking into coffee can jets too....eeek

Latest posts

Back