insde taper setup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard.nott

Reaction score
wanting to cut an inside 10* taper for a 5-C collet adapter but can't get it through my thick head how to do it. would appreciate a boot in the right direction to get going. would like to know if there are any video clips available anywhere to watch also. thanks for the help Richard

Richard, set the compound at 10° and thats it. lock the carriage, cut with compound handle, doc with the crosslide feed.

To check your work, take a collet say 1/2", put a dowel or accurate sized piece in the collet, blue up the angle bore, and tighten the drawbar, then check the transfer of the blueing.

Another way to check is to attach an indicator to the compound, put a collet in the lathe chuck, and then trace the tapered section adjusting until the needle doesn't move. To help set the compound, mount a square in a tool holder and adjust so that it's parallel to the collet taper.

Tom Lipton at Oxtoolco on youtube has just done a 4 part video series on tapers. http://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco

I spent a bit of time yesterday trying his sine bar technique to set the compound angle. It was hard! After a bit more research, today I made a bracket that sits on the compound to hold the sine bar and now I just sandwich the sine bar between the compound and the tailstock barrel. After setting, it indicated within 0.0004" (0.01mm) along the compound length! I was very happy as I was not sure if I could machine the bracket accurately enough.

Can't wait to try it out!

I would try to get the angle a close as possible but I don't think it will matter a great deal if you miss it by a degree either way. All it does is tighten the collet and insure the collet runs concentric with the spindle. I would rather the contact be made at the large diameter of the collet and not the small diameter.
To get the angle a close a possible be SURE you have your boring bar set at the correct center height. This is extremly important when turning tapers. Mike

went to the shop this morning about 6:30 and after a couple hours of back and forth figured it out. finally figured out how to set the tool bit and compound and got a smooth finish that required little polishing. thanks for all the help
Richard

Latest posts

Back