I'm Rich----I'm Rich---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well, maybe not that rich----but I just sold my old Sears Craftsman lawn tractor for $150.00. I bought it 15 years ago, and it has mowed my lawn faithfully for many summers. For a few years it even ploughed my driveway---I had the 48" blade, the chains, and the wheelweights. I only found out after buying all the snow attachements that it was only good for ploughing downhill. Uphill or more than 12 foot on the level, and it just sat there and bounced up and down. It has served me faithfully though, cutting grass as it was intended for. This spring I took an assesment of it---If it sat unused for more than 10 days, I had to charge the battery before it would start. Three years ago, the brake pad wore completely out---I discovered this by driving waist deep into the duck pond.-Nothing was hurt except my feelings, and I got a chain on it and pulled it out with my Ranger pickup before anyone seen what I had done. The front of the mower deck was rotted to the point that I briefly considered welding a steel flatbar reinforcement to the front of it to keep it from being bent back by thick grass untill the tips of the blades clattered against it---causing my heart to skip a beat each time that happened. The final straw was that two weeks ago the bushing at the end of the steering column wore out to the point where the pinion and sector gear would jump over each other instead of meshing. With heavy heart, I knew it was time to buy another new tractor from Sears. This morning I advertised the old tractor on the local "Buy and Sell" internet forum, and almost immediately got a phone call from someone wanting it. I warned him of all its flaws and bad habits, but told him it would still start, run, and cut grass. (I'd rather tell the truth up front and not sell it at all than deal with the wrath of somebody who figured I had "suckered" him after the fact.) So, its gone. However, elation is short lived. As I was typing this, the wife came in and announced she was going grocery shopping, and took all the money. Ah well, wealth is such a fleeting thing----and I bet I'm the only guy in town who will be eating this week courtesy of a 15 year old lawn tractor!!!---Brian

I would have fixed it. Being the genuine machinist impersonator that I am, I'd have made the parts it needed and used the $1800 I saved on a new mower for shop equipment.

At least you get to eat for another week, and your old friend went to a good home.

I know---I could have fixed it too. Ten years ago, I would have fixed it. There is something about getting a bit older and having a bit more money---and having spent a whole damn lifetime fixing things because I couldn't afford to replace them---I'm spoiled!!!

Oh, I don't think you're really spoiled. You do what you're supposed to do. For many of us, me included, after quite some years of working, it's nice to use some of the fruits of your labors.

Brian Rupnow said:
I know---I could have fixed it too. Ten years ago, I would have fixed it. There is something about getting a bit older and having a bit more money---and having spent a whole damn lifetime fixing things because I couldn't afford to replace them---I'm spoiled!!!

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt (even if it does have a few holes in it)

Brian Rupnow said:

Ditto.

I changed my own oil and lubed my vehicles for forty years. When they broke I'd fix them myself. A few years ago I figured I'd paid my dues long enough since my house was then paid for and both vehicles free and clear, I started paying Jiffy Lube the $34 to do that stuff for me and paying the local mechanic whenever they break. Actually, both being Toyotas, they haven't broke yet and the Tacoma has 130k on it, but if they ever do...

-T

Back