How to construct a pentagon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
In a recent thread (which I don't want to hijack further), I outlined a simple method to manually (i.e., no indexer, no CAD) divide a circle into 3,6,12,24,48... divisions.

It occurred to me that many folks may be interested in ten divisions. Ten divisions are trivial if one can do five divisions. So the question becomes, "How to construct a pentagon with only straightedge and compass?" - a so-called Euclidian construction.

[Aside: Not all regular polygons have a Euclidian construction. Gauss proved that certain ones (e.g., the heptagon - with seven sides) absolutely cannot be so constructed. Fortunately, the pentagon does not fall into this forbidden group.]

For most modelmakers there will be easier methods available to subdivide a circle. Still, it's nice to know how our craftsmen forefathers managed in the days before indexers and computers. And there will be times when the job is too big or awkward to fit into more conventional indexing devices.

The diagram below should be self explanatory. If you want to verify the technique, you can use trigonometry to prove that the angle AOE is indeed 360/5 = 72 deg.

PENTAGON.jpg

Andrewinpopayan said:
The angle ACD remains constant?

Yes, it does, as can be seen from the following...

tan (OAC) = (r/2)/r = 1/2 (where r = circle radius)

therefore: OAC = 26.565

OCA = 90 - OAC = 63.435

ACD = OCA/2 = 31.717

Thanks Marv :)

This brought back some nice memories from the draughting class from my high-school days :D

We used this same principle for constructing pentagons for drawings; - I used to love doing the technical drawings; some of the only homework I ever did ;D

I use glorified calculators (computers) extensively, but I have on occasion felt like breaking out my old draughting set, ink pens & just going for it :)

Regards, Arnold

PS: the spell checker keeps saying draughting is not a word, so I just shoved the word into Google and got only South African results - it seems the more acceptable word is "drafting" ;)

Depends if you have the door open or not when typing............... ::)

Depends if you have the door open or not when typing............... Roll Eyes
:big: Too true - guess I'll have to start closing doors & windows by 72 degrees; winter is coming on in Windhoek ;D

Arnold,

In a language where 'fish' can be spelled 'ghoti', draught is perfectly acceptable. Don't listen to John. He's still working on the difference between 'course' and 'coarse'. :)

Now that's an oddity - perhaps the influence of the US on 'English'?

Over here it's always been 'draught' and/or 'draughtsman'.

Here's a current definition

mklotz said:
Arnold,

In a language where 'fish' can be spelled 'ghoti', draught is perfectly acceptable. Don't listen to John. He's still working on the difference between 'course' and 'coarse'. :)

Of coarse or should that be course ????????

arnoldb said:
PS: the spell checker keeps saying draughting is not a word, so I just shoved the word into Google and got only South African results - it seems the more acceptable word is "drafting" ;)

.... or you can do what I just did - right click on the underlined word and hit 'add to dictionary'

The old (ca. 1806) portion of the house I used to own had a 5-sided ridge beam, which gave a roof pitch of about 8.7:12. The carpenters undoubtedly knew their geometry.

Back