Honing a tool (how to)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanol

Reaction score
I have seen many references to honing a tool to get a sharp edge. I bought a diamond lap and I use it pulling away from the edge like sharpening a knife.

I have seen a couple of references where it was used pushing towards the edge. Is there a right way? I would think that removing material towards the edge would dull it.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Seanol said:
I have seen many references to honing a tool to get a sharp edge. I bought a diamond lap and I use it pulling away from the edge like sharpening a knife.

I have seen a couple of references where it was used pushing towards the edge. Is there a right way? I would think that removing material towards the edge would dull it.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Here is a link that you might find useful.

http://www.ezelap.com/tips.htm

Honing: http://www.ehow.com/how_2271421_use-hone-stone-sharpening-tools.html

When I sharpen cutting tools using a grinder the rotation of the wheel is always towards the edge, not away. I,m not sure about lapping with a diamond hone, but it seems to reason out that against the cutting edge would be the correct way.

On HSS bits ground from blanks, and using a normal oilstone on it's fine side, I "smooth" the bits towards the edges, at "just" a smaller angle as the bit was ground on the bench-grinder. This normally gives me good results. I have also started to touch up the tool in-place on the lathe like this just before my final cut (I hold an oiled piece of paper below the bit to prevent loose grit from the stone falling on the lathe) - this has improved surface finishes a lot.

I don't normally use tungsten tipped tools, as I normally work at speeds lower than the tungsten tips want, but on some occasions I have used the same technique on tungsten (got some small grooves in the oilstone to prove that ;) ) with much improved cutting results over the bits as-supplied.

Regards, Arnold

For HSS use an oil stone toward the edge. away will leave a burr. You can should use the same angle. since the grinding wheel is in fact a wheel hollow grind the bit. Allow the flat hone to touch the cutting tip and heel and you do not need to smooth the middle. I hone the top, the front the face and the radius.
On carbide use diamond the cabide will ruin an oil stone.
Tin

Maybe I am confusing the terms.

If I hold the bit in my hand, do I slide it on the stone with the cutting edge forward, taking material off the bit from the cutting edge back? or do I hold thew bit and run it so the cutting edge is behind pushing material up to it?

Does that make any sense?

Thanks for all the help,
Sean

Sean

An easy way to remember, move it in the same direction as you would to cut a slice off a block of cheese. :)

Push the cutting edge towards the stone. If you drag the cutting edge you'll end up with a thin feathery edge. :big:

Hal

Hal,
Thanks, So it is like honing or sharpening a knife. You want to remove material away from the edge, not towards it.

Thanks,
Sean

Latest posts

Back