Home made programs...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD

Reaction score
I know Marv Klotz has a web site featuring his programs, they are great and I've used them many times (Thanks Marv!). I too like to dabble in simple programs for the shop. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I have a couple of simple programs used to help narrow down the options for machining a worm to mesh with an existing gear.

Program1. You input the DP of the gear you have and it computes the Threads/Inch for the worm and the circular vs thread pitch (it's slow but it works). Iterations are in .0001" increments so be patient. Usually ~ 20-90 seconds to compute.

Program2. BV-920 specific, but you could modify it for your lathe's change gears and lead screw pitch. It presents you with a list of the stock supplied gears (A-B) and you are shown a quick table resulting from installing the gears. The table mimics the one on my machine, but it also includes the thread pitch and an equivalent Diametral Pitch for each pitch, and of course the lever position for the Quick Change box (Mine has 9 positions). You are not limited to the stock gears as the program will accept whatever tooth-counts you enter. The table information will update reflecting the gears chosen.

If I had a personal web site I would just make them available that way, but I don't.

I figured I'd ask rather than uploading something without permission.

The programs are written in QB4.5 and compiled to 'exe'. I'm also working on compiling them via QB64 so they can run on the newer machines too.

Let me know, and I'll share what I have so far.

Rich

I know Marv Klotz has a web site featuring his programs, they are great and I've used them many times (Thanks Marv!). I too like to dabble in simple programs for the shop. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I have a couple of simple programs used to help narrow down the options for machining a worm to mesh with an existing gear. Program1. You input the DP of the gear you have and it computes the Threads/Inch for the worm and the circular vs thread pitch (it's slow but it works). Iterations are in .0001" increments so be patient. Usually ~ 20-90 seconds to compute.
This brought back memories! In college one course on gears had us calculating the mesh of two gears at an angle. It was something that could be solved directly if you did the math right. Being late at night I got every walk through of the formulas wrong and obviously so. Nothing worst than being wrong, knowing it and not getting to the root of the problem.

Back then my Mac Plus was new technology but ever so no math processor. In any event I programmed the computer that night to step through zero to ninety degrees and print out answers where the error was less that a tenth if I remember. I woke up the next morning to go to work and the program was still running. Stopped at the house for my nightly run to "adult education" and had the answers there. I'm not sure how long the program took but these days a cell phone would likely do the trick within minutes. We have come a very long way indeed.

What is sad, is that going to night school is a made rush to keep from falling behind, I'm not sure if I ever solved that problem correctly. If I remember right I had an aha moment in class when the professor reviewed the problem, I think I had a sign issue with a trig function. It was noted and off to the next challenge.
Program2. BV-920 specific, but you could modify it for your lathe's change gears and lead screw pitch. It presents you with a list of the stock supplied gears (A-B) and you are shown a quick table resulting from installing the gears. The table mimics the one on my machine, but it also includes the thread pitch and an equivalent Diametral Pitch for each pitch, and of course the lever position for the Quick Change box (Mine has 9 positions). You are not limited to the stock gears as the program will accept whatever tooth-counts you enter. The table information will update reflecting the gears chosen. If I had a personal web site I would just make them available that way, but I don't. I figured I'd ask rather than uploading something without permission. The programs are written in QB4.5 and compiled to 'exe'. I'm also working on compiling them via QB64 so they can run on the newer machines too. Let me know, and I'll share what I have so far. Rich

Have you ever considered Python as a more portable solution to your programming needs? I really like it and use it for both work and home projects. I know the tendency is to go with what you know, but QB is a dying platform.

Yes I have considered Python, but I run a real old 286 computer in my shop. It's set up on a wide shelf above my lathe. The reason I use this computer is that ...

#1 It was my first computer a Tandy TL2-1000

#2 It's up and running within a couple seconds because the operating system is stored in ROM.

#3 QB 4.5 lets you compile directly to "exe" and most of my programs are pretty 'bare-bones' with no fancy interface wanted or needed. I just use it for shop related stuff.

I have a whole other computer room in a little cottage next to my garage. That's where I draw in Autocad and do my programming.

With all that said, A couple years ago a neighbor gave me computer with Linux loaded on it. I've come to like it, since all the newer computers in my household are Windows based and I'm pretty fed up with the Windows 8 thing. Both my wife and daughter have new laptops with Window 8...yuk.

I use the Linux machine now as my preference. I use DosBox to run AutoCad ver 11 for DOS and program in QB 4.5 and Autolisp from within Linux. Libre Office has the Excel/Word equivalent spreadsheet/word processor etc. LibreCad is pretty good too but I don't use it much, although I would if I didn't have AutoCad.

I have a laptop with Windows XP that I use in the house mostly for browsing and email.

I've loaded and installed Python on my Linux machine recently, but haven't even fired it up to check it out. I'll check out a tutorial soon.

I moved to a new house this last April, so my old shop is still across town at my other house. I haven't run my lathe for about a year now. I'm in the process now of preparing the new shop so I can install my machinery and hopefully dabble around during the winter months.

New place has a large lot and a good size (~10x30' with a dirt floor) shop space behind the triple-wide garage. It's real old, but I like it. It's more like an old barn than a shop.
Rich

Rich;

Just on the off chance you're not aware; DraftSight is download-able for Linux (Fedora or Ubuntu) and is considered to be "AutoCad-like", an easy transition.

Like you I've moved to Linux (Mint 13 KDE) on my netbook as a test. I'm suitably pleased and will load it on my notebook.

All this free software is great.

Cheers Garry

@RichD

I Haven't read all of this thread but it seems you are an elderly is not always bad person like myself.

software

Linux, XP Win7 QBasic ,Good gets the job done.

Win8 and the V one Yuck!

hardware

If it ain't busted don't fix it !

my network server/NAS is an ancient Pentium 4 running amahi/ubuntu server software and it just gets quietly on with it.

push files into it or pull 'em out of it, and thanks to SAMBA it'll talk to anything.

This was written on my posh one (AMD quad core Gaming rig) but if it packs up I could do it using my printer server at a push, she's even more elderly.

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,
I did look at a Python tutorial today and thought...well maybe, but not right now.

I used to like DOS, then windows came along...OK but never really thought it was a necessary change. What the world needs is not the same as what I need. I admit Windows changed the whole scene for the masses, but I already knew my way around without all the GUI stuff.

So I plod along with my old stuff just like a pair of comfortable shoes.

I did download Draftsight (twice) but both times it failed to install due to check sum errors or something like that. I may try again, but my old AutoCad 11 is fully customized by me for my needs...for example, I spent around a year or so developing an autolisp program that draws gears with true involute curves. Just enter No. of teeth, DP, Press angle, shaft size, and thickness...voila...you have a gear. I found the formula for the involute on some "Pro Engineer" drawing tutorial web page. I then built my own program around the formula. Works like a charm.

Time to sign off, Thanks for the comments. I still have to get up and go to work as I'm not 'that' old yet.
Rich

Have any of you seen this?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpJOEj-kX_o[/ame]

It's a really nice machine designed by Tom Hammond, with castings by Gary Martin. I tried to get more information, but no luck yet.
Rich
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpJOEj-kX_o"][/ame]

Thanks for the link Cobweb. I couldn't find the kit there though. Maybe I missed it somehow. Nice source for flywheels too.
Rich

Nice machine, but all those gears would drive me nuts.

Weston Farmer wrote an article in an early issue of DIGITAL MACHINIST for building a stepper control to electronically link two steppers. You could set in any ratio and the motors would stay locked together by that ratio. It was all made with chips, no microprocessors. That would be a nice way to drive this machine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I did look at a Python tutorial today and thought...well maybe, but not right now. I used to like DOS, then windows came along...OK but never really thought it was a necessary change. What the world needs is not the same as what I need. I admit Windows changed the whole scene for the masses, but I already knew my way around without all the GUI stuff.
Sounds like you might like to sink your teeth into Linux. There you can have it any way you want.
So I plod along with my old stuff just like a pair of comfortable shoes. I did download Draftsight (twice) but both times it failed to install due to check sum errors or something like that. I may try again, but my old AutoCad 11 is fully customized by me for my needs...for example, I spent around a year or so developing an autolisp program that draws gears with true involute curves. Just enter No. of teeth, DP, Press angle, shaft size, and thickness...voila...you have a gear.
That sounds very interesting in its own right. N
I found the formula for the involute on some "Pro Engineer" drawing tutorial web page. I then built my own program around the formula. Works like a charm. Time to sign off, Thanks for the comments. I still have to get up and go to work as I'm not 'that' old yet. Rich

Sadly I'm on lunch break at work right now. This is one way an iPad allows me to keep up with the forums without loosing precious personal time. Not all new tech is bad.

Thanks for the link Cobweb. I couldn't find the kit there though. Maybe I missed it somehow. Nice source for flywheels too.
Rich

RichD
When the link opens it shows the Quorn tool grinder. Scroll down to the bottom of that window to see the hobbing machine and then click the link for printable order form.

RichD
When the link opens it shows the Quorn tool grinder. Scroll down to the bottom of that window to see the hobbing machine and then click the link for printable order form.
Thanks Cobweb,
I don't know why I didn't see that.
Rich

Latest posts

Back