Hi torque solid head mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreeves

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has the new hi torque with a solid (no-tilt head) head? I want to know if it is any better than the tilt version. I have other questions as well but will wait and see if anyone has one.

Dave

What exactly is this 'new' 'hi torque'? Make? Model?

Chazz

Hey Dave
Moving on down from the BP?
Stan

im going to the cnc workshop in Ann Arbor in june. Im doing some research as I do not like the tilt head mill which is what they are using.

Dave

im going to the cnc workshop in Ann Arbor in june. Im doing some research as I do not like the tilt head mill which is what they are using.

Dave

Hi Dave
All a bit vague I'm afraid. Tilt head mills come in all sizes from massive industrial units to
to dinky little bench top models.
Post the make and model then some one on the forum will have experience using it and will be able to give informed information on its ability and short comings.

Eric

Dave,
I have just recently purchased one of these mills to convert to CNC.
I am doing the conversion in partnership with the guy who designed and made the two Sieg CNC mills, he is building one to gauge how easy it would be to do and to produce a 'DECENT' conversion kit.
I have just recieved the last of the components from China, so within the next month or two, I will be writing it all up as I go along.
I have already raised a post about a problem that producers of the 'kits' have totally ignored, crabbing on the Z axis.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=24086

BTW, this machine, with it's uprated rigid column plus a few other bits, larger table etc will make a perfect small CNC milling machine.

John

We have used this mill in the past two sessions of the build class at the CNC workshop and will be doing it again in June, for a total of 34 machines. We had the sample unit done to show last weekend at the NAMES show. We will use the cncfusion ballscrew kit and the electronics from PMDX.com I think it makes a fine small CNC machine.

Hi Dave I just got this exact mini mill at the Cabin Fever Show at York PA. While I am just beginning to use it I am happy so far as the quality seems pretty good. i haven't done much yet just testing it out on some aluminum and some steel so far what I take on the Z axis is what it removes,I am only doing very light cuts so far about .015. I got the 3" vice that LMS sells for it it wasn't as good as I had hoped for appearance wise anyway. But to be fair it seems to work ok so far.
Bill M.

Hi Bill,i also have the mill and have done a diary.I am very happy with it
Also got the 80mm vice and was happy for a while.After modding to a better accuracy it looked good and worked well. Then the casting broke across the neck of the fixed jaw.Poor quality iron,i never overtightened and never used
a mallet on the vice handle.No satisfaction at all from my local supplier
all they said was 30 days guarantee,i now need a replacement and in two minds on the 80mm or go up to the 100mm. Different supplier of couarse

Latest posts

Back