Height Gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to posting but have been watching the site daily for over a year now.

I have a question, I have a height gauge, am I setting it up wrong as I cannot get it to read zero.

The lowest I can get it to is 1.5", so I have to add or subtract this figure to any measurement I am making.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how the tool should be used.

ken.

Hi Ken

Is it a digital height gauge?

Some of these have an "origin" function, this is used to set the Zero every time the tool is turned on, you have to put the measure point to the zero surface, and then press "origin", next time you use the tool the zero will be in correct position.

If it is not a digital tool, I can't understand the problem

ken show us a picture of your height gauge. my guess is you are either missing a part or two or it is assembled wrong.

You should be able to zero it out or mark a line .125 or whatever from your surface plate.

your scribed is likely missing. here is what one is supposed to look like .

g9618.jpg

I would guess someone stuck a lathe tool in for a sciber.

Also buzby when you get a chance post an introduction in the welcome section. tell us a bit about yourself , your shop and your interests in model engine building. We can extend a proper welcomes and it helps fols better help you if we know a bit about you. Enjoy the board.
Tin

Hi all,

It is not digital it is mechanical.

I will try and take a picture and then try and upload it,

thanks all,

ken.

Picture steam engine and cray creek 068.jpg

My guess is that the measure arm has to be placed on top of the height gauge arm

The foot of your tool seems to be reversed also

well appears to have all parts in place and is of the verier type
this may help . Do you know how to read a verier? I would have to think about it theses days has been a while.
http://www.starrett.com/download/251_p122_125.pdf
Can you see a zero mark on the bottom of the scale. if the Zero mark is not there maybe someone cut the scale.
Tin

If you can get a good close up of the scale, I can help you with it.

Dave

The zero mark should be on the side with the lock screw. The two screws just ahead of it will adjust the zero. Just loosen them enough to move the scale. Set the zero and tighten them again. The scale on the other side of the vertical can be set the same way but requires a master of known value. And yes the foot should be reversed. Everything else is as it should be.

"Bill Gruby"

hi all,

maybe this picture might show my problem better,

thanks for all the help so far,

ken.

Picture steam engine and cray creek.jpg

Yes the problem is the 1 is the height of the base so your height will always be scale reading -1, assuming that the scriber is on the surface plate when the scale is reading 1

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ken, your guage looks very similar to my Brown & Sharpe. The top of the arm should match the scale, so a straight scriber will work down to just over an inch. Under an inch you need the dogleg scriber you've shown (mounted on top of the arm) and subtract an inch. Instead of changing scribers I usually just set the part on a 123 block and subtract an inch.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

P1010001.JPG

Back