Cross tube boiler build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me, assuming silver soldered (not soft soldered) and hydro tested to whatever they recommend (2x working pressure?)

What is your fuel & burner setup there, a butane tank and orfice? I've been thinking of attempting a small vertical boiler for a project. Is this from a plan I can obtain?

Paul

this is a recent crosstube build. i'm fairly new to boiler construction, but my fear is quickly fading.

Whats the diameter of your boiler? what type pipe did you use? Im making 3" diameter one based on sandyC's plans

I think many people use type M which is 0.072" thick but I plan to use type L or K which are 0.090" and 0.109" respectively

Looks good to me, assuming silver soldered (not soft soldered) and hydro tested to whatever they recommend (2x working pressure?)

What is your fuel & burner setup there, a butane tank and orfice? I've been thinking of attempting a small vertical boiler for a project. Is this from a plan I can obtain?

Paul

thank for the reply

hydrostatic testing is usually 2x the working pressure. i've put together a test that'll do 300psi. it's approximately 70/30 propane/butane/isobutane mix.

no plan really, it's pretty much a basic cross-tube vertical boiler.

ps. why on earth would you mention soft solder? that's just not going to work.

Whats the diameter of your boiler? what type pipe did you use? Im making 3" diameter one based on sandyC's plans

I think many people use type M which is 0.072" thick but I plan to use type L or K which are 0.090" and 0.109" respectively

i had some 3" someone had given me a while back, so i just cut it up and made a few boilers w/ it, but i prefer 4" pipe now. i think i'll use the 3" for horizontal boiler making, but i now prefer a 4" diameter at the very least.

don't get too hung up on the minutia of all things copper - get in there and start boiler making. as i said in another forum, i'll gladly pass on what i have learned over the last while.

start thinking about your cap forms and the annealing process. after you bang out a few caps (and perfect the process), the rest is quite easy. i have a few tricks on how to get some great welds.

the gas tank was made of some 2" stock. i think i got the ronson valve from forrest classics.

Back