Craftsman 109 Spindle Adapter (Or, I cannot believe I was afraid of threading!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Reaction score
This evening I spent some quality time in my workshop. Earlier today I took a trip to a buddy's shop in OKC to use his bandsaw. I cut me off a half dozen 1" long chunks from a bar of 1" 12L14 hex.

Hiding in one of those chunks was this spindle adapter. This is for the old Craftsman/Dunlap model 109 lathes. The 109 has a very tiny spindle (1/2"-20 thread is typical). Finding good accessories for these is not easy. So the easy way is to have a spindle adapter. This goes from 1/2"-20 to 3/4"-16 like found on the Taig and Sherline lathes. This way you can use good US made chucks, faceplates etc.

Anyhow, after thinking for a bit how I wanted to make these I got busy and 2 hours later this popped out of the little hunk of bar.

Over the time I've been a member here I've read everything I've seen posted about single point threading. I don't know why but it always sorta made me break out in a sweat thinking about this operation.

Anyhow, it's a piece of cake. CAKE I SAY!!

As my lathe does not have a thread dial I simply ran the spindle by hand back and forth with an improvised crank handle.

I'm tickled pink needless to say.

Operations were really straight forward.

Face the ends. Center drill, drill with a 1/4" bit, enlarge hole with a 29/64 drill, tap for 1/2"-20 using a center in the tailstock to keep the tap aligned.

I have a nice little arbor with 1/2"-20 threads that I put in my ER-25 collet chuck and used as the holder for the remaining machining.

Next turn the part you want to thread down to just a hair under 3/4". Set compound to 29 degrees, align your 60 degree tool to the part, make a skim cut and check pitch with a gauge.

All looks great, cut some threads. I stopped periodically to see if a 3/4" die would spin on. When it did I just cleaned the threads up with the die. I made an undercut at the ends of the threads. Chamfer some edges. Done.

I spun a Taig 4 Jaw chuck onto the thing and it seated just like it belonged there! WOOOO!!

Anyhow. I applied more than a few things I learned here from the lot of you guys. Thank you. Thank you.

adapter1.jpg

adapter2.jpg

Crap. Wrong forum. Mods, please move this. Geez what a ding-dong I am today.

Yup did the same thing for bout the same reason, to use a Taig chuck, 3 jaw soft model. Drilled and tapped a piece 1/2-20 to fit then threaded it it place bit by bit. Ran a die over it to clean up. Taig chuck is much nicer.

Robert

Twmaster said:
Crap. Wrong forum. Mods, please move this. Geez what a ding-dong I am today.

Twmaster

OK, I have moved the topic for you. Nice job by the way. Just goes to show what you can do if you give it a good try. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Hey Don! Good for you!

There , that wasn't so hard now was it? ;D

Glad you did it. I don't see enough people single pointing anymore. And your right, there are a lot more chucks available at 3/4-16.

My favorite saying when doing something for the first time....Go slow and think about what your doing....

GoodONYA!

Nice, Mike. I'm always a little skittish about operations involving the lathe spindle. However, if you make a mistake you can always do it again!

Chuck

steamer said:
Hey Don! Good for you!

There , that wasn't so hard now was it? ;D

Glad you did it. I don't see enough people single pointing anymore. And your right, there are a lot more chucks available at 3/4-16.

My favorite saying when doing something for the first time....Go slow and think about what your doing....

GoodONYA!

Steamer

All I did was move the thread to the correct forum. Twmaster deserves the credit for making the adapter. :bow:

Don

Single pointing is one of those things that even some of the old hands dislike. I find it one of the most satisfying operations, because it's so nice to be able to make a thread without having a die.

Congrats, and glad you took the leap to make the part.

dsquire said:
Steamer

All I did was move the thread to the correct forum. Twmaster deserves the credit for making the adapter. :bow:

Don

OOOOPS My bad....I shouldn't type at that hour in the morning before coffee MIKE!!!:big:

Dave

Looks like it turned out great, Mike. I like your use of a hex on one end. When I did mine, I made
it round with a hole for a pin wrench. Yours doesn't need a special wrench! Good thinking.

Single pointing is one of those things I look at as fun. I never get tired of it, after all these years. Maybe
I'm simple minded or something, but I like doing it.

Thanks for the kinds words folks. this evening I made another of these parts. I learned a lot from the first one. The second is much better in my view.

Dean, it just seemed logical to use a hunk of hex bar. No fussing with finding the right tommy bar and such.

Now that I have done some basic single point threads I'm up for more.

Again, I want to thank the collective wisdom of you folks here on HMEM.

Nice work that is on one of my to do lists somewhere.
A couple of thoughts the Ebay vendor 800 what does sell some nice import chucks with the 1/2 20 thread to fit the old 109.
I purchased one of the 3/4 chuck with the idea of boring out to 1" for my edestal. But not enough material so I will like make an adapter so it can be used on one of the 109s i have.
as far as a thread dial ,if the thread is an even multiple of the lead screw no thread dial is needed.
Tin

Tin,

I was soooo tempted to buy one of those Machinex5 lathes that were on eBay last year.

While I have no complaint about the chucks 800Watt sells I am concerned about how much overhang and the weight of those chucks. Especially considering the thin spindle of the 109. The Taig and Sherline chucks are nice and compact. Combine that with the 1/4" this adds to the distance from the spindle nose I think this is a better solution.

800 watt sells two styles of chucks the "long" ones like come on and are sold for use with the Seig 7 X lathes and the thin style Tommy bar chuck like those for Taig and Sherline. IIRC both can be had with the craftsman spindle thread. I purchases a 2 1/2 inch 4 jaw scroll type with Tommy bars.
Tin

Ok, that sounds perfect for your 109. I was not aware he sells the shorter chucks that fit 1/2"-20 threads.

Tin Falcon said:
I purchases a 2 1/2 inch 4 jaw scroll type with Tommy bars.
Tin

Tin, tell me about that chuck, would you? How do you like it, runout, perceived quality, etc? I've thought about one of those 800Watt tommy bar chucks for my small lathe, but don't want to buy if it's not up to snuff.
Thanks.

1) run out do not know have not mounted it yet.
2) quality good to excellent I did run the jaws in and out a couple times . the fit seem good to excellent nothing seems to rattle or move about that shouldn't. jaws move fairly smoothly may be some tiny burs left behind . the face has a hole milled out that may have been a name brand badge location or may be for balance not sure.
Tin

Latest posts

Back