Coomber 3X

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I've been wanting a bigger engine and this is it:eek:) I have some of the pieces redrawn 3X their normal size in Mastercam. Today a few parts were welded up at work wrong :eek: so I was able to play on the CNC mill after words ;D ;D ;D I had the program and material ready a week ago. Here is what I turned out. I'm getting better at this CNC stuff, because I didn't have any problems.

CIMG0589.jpg

CIMG0590.jpg

CIMG0591.jpg

The newer version of mastercam has a feature called tabs. When machining parts out of plate like this you can add these tabs and the parts wont fall out. They can easily be cut with dikes. I like it.

Wes

where does one line up to get one of those neat looking pieces ;) ???

great looking job wes.............i know nothing about cnc machining other that it is abit faster and maybe abit more consistent than a manual machine ;) :D ;D :p :big:

chuck

I made a couple extra but I think I'm going to make extra engines to help finance my sickness:eek:) And one is for my boss. Total time was one hour, one min, and 32 seconds from start to finish. I used a centerdrill to engrave the letters. It's only the second time Ive done this. It worked great but I think next time I'll only go about .012" deep instead of .025".

Very nice Wes! :eek: :eek: :eek: You know you are going to have a bidding war for the completed engine ;D

-Bret

Nice looking start there Wes. What's the material of choice?

I know the pilers are in there as a size ref'.... But what size are the pliers? :D

I like the text around the top, very neat ;D

I'm sure we will all eagerly await the rest of this build ;)

Ralph.

Great job on the machining Wes! My router software at work has tabs,very handy. What is the material? But why are we calling it a Coomber Rotary on this forum ,all my downloads say Comber Rotary?

Dick

That's looking very nice Wes. I will be watching for further updates.

All the old references show the spelling with the "oo". The book, Elmer's engines, used a single "o" and since many people are familiar with that book, the single "o" is used when referencing that particular design a lot. I have tried to use that convention when referencing the plan shown in Elmer's book. That is the first place I found the single "o" spelling and all the following use of the single 'o" seem to be based on that. When in doubt, I have put both spellings in my posts to indicate Elmer's plan and the generic engine.

Gail in NM,USA

The engine was originally designed by Mr. W.A.Coomber, an engineer with Scotland Street, Ironworks in Birmingham, and described in "The Engineer" on January 21st 1876, according to the Brunell Models Website. Brunell offers a beautiful casting kit for this engine as well.

Steve

Is it possible to know a little more about your CNC set up? I would love to go this way but being retired pennies can be hard to save........

Hey, Mickey
I milled these at work. We have a CNC mill with about a 30" X 60" table on it. It has a 20 hp spindle motor:eek:) It weighs 24,000 pounds. Probably not for home use:eek:) I'll get a picture of it one of these days and post it here. I was making some chain cases and there was a problem with them on Friday. The welders had to fix them so the mill was free for me to use after work.

Wes

Thanks Powder Keg. Envy is a trait I am developing ever since I joined this forum! However it is great to know you are not alone! Since joining I have found someone building the same traction engine as mine and fortunately he is in front of me! ;D

Metal Mickey said:
Thanks Powder Keg. Envy is a trait I am developing ever since I joined this forum! However it is great to know you are not alone! Since joining I have found someone building the same traction engine as mine and fortunately he is in front of me! ;D

Envy quickly passes here. You go from being envious to ravenous. Ravenous for learning the skills and techniques the guys here use to build their works of art. The work I have seen you post is very good... ;D

As far as CNC goes. It isn't that difficult to retrofit most home machines to CNC. Check out CNCZone for ideas and help.

Eric

A 3X scaled up engine is going to be huge? What will the bore/stroke be? I don't know anything about this rotary engine. The CNC product you're making is super work! :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Hey Wes,

Thanks for reminding me about tabs, I had seen that option but never used it and forgot it was there. It sure would have been handy for my last job, and there it was right next to depth o' cuts. sure beats leaving a few thou and hitting it with a hammer. (or screws, stress, broken cutters) nice work!

Cheers,

Kevin

Back