Combo Machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.C.Clark

Reaction score
Hello Group,

There seems to be a gap between the smallest Smithy and Grizzly 3 in 1 machines weighing 400 - 600 pounds, and the benchtop models at less than 50 pounds. Does anyone know of a decent such machine somewhere around 100 to 200 pounds?

I have a CNC benchtop lathe and mill, but, of course, sometimes feel the need for slightly larger. Mainly stiffer and more powerful, not necessarily more size capacity. My shop is in a basement furnace room and there's no way to get anything into it except by manhandling -- hence my weight restriction.

Thanks,

DC

Does it have to be a 3 in 1? I have taken 10" Logan lathes into my basement shop by myself. Just take apart to sizes that can be handled on a 2 wheel dolly.

D.C.Clark said:
My shop is in a basement furnace room and there's no way to get anything into it except by manhandling -- hence my weight restriction.

Howdy DC. First off, you got you're way of looking at things backwards. With the help of this group there is no way that you WONT come up with a method that works.

From the short description you've given so far I might be inclined to try a ramp and winch system. HA 'inclined' ! :D Get it?

Seriously, welcome aboard DC. I think you'll see what I mean soon enough.

Kermit

Oi DC - you could always cut a hole in the living room floor and lower a decent sized machine down. Throw a rug over the hole when yer done and the missus won't even notice - not for a while at least. ;)

Welcome

If you want to do bigger work,I wouldn't look at a "combo".You don't get much length between centres,and the milling column simply doesn't have the rigidity required.
Go for a lathe as big as you can fit through the door.Remember:"You can make small parts on a big machine,but you can't make big parts on a small machine"

tel said:
Oi DC - you could always cut a hole in the living room floor and lower a decent sized machine down. Throw a rug over the hole when yer done and the missus won't even notice - not for a while at least. ;)

Yeah, but what about when the house gets sold??? Oh well, the hole in the floor is the next guys problem I guess! :big:

My sister's basement has a non-working furnace that apparently was put in by a former owner through a hole in the floor. You can see the difference in the sub-floor from the basement. It won't go up the stairs, so I keep telling her to let me cut it up and haul it out for her, but she won't let me. Doesn't she know that is what a torch is for???

Andrew

If the work is done properly, no one will ever no that it was there. Make it a removable patch just in case you have other things to get down there.

Many people have mover some largish equipment (12 or 13" lathes) down the stairs into a basement, it's doable.

You could always add an entrance from the outside and call it a home improvement. Seriously though a neighbor redid a house that was destroyed by fire. The cellar entrance is hidden under a hatch in the deck. Also when I worked at the yacht yard we built hatches in the floor of the salon that gave access to the engine room so if an engine had to be pulled it came out through the salon aka living room floor.The hatch in the floor idea is not a totally bad one but make sure you do not hurt structural integrity.
Tin

To get a little insight into the ingenuity of some, the next time you see an estate auction with machine tools listed go have a look. I have found that some people have a want or need for a particular machine far greater than I.

I have had some interesting experiences here with my own machines. Just take some time to scope out where Murphy is hiding before you commit.

I have a 2000 lb lathe in my shop that was one of those brainstorming projects.

One other thing I could add is that a dedicated machine is better than a "fitzall" IMHO.

Remember that doing the move safely is the priority.

Kevin

Back