Clamping advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajcgkm

Reaction score
Hi just got my 160mm face plate, problem now is what's the best way of clamping work to it. I was looking at the milling clamp kits but they come in various sizes and I am not sure if they would be suitable. As I said I'm not clued up on milling so dont know if these kits would be suitable for faceplates. Any input would be appreciated.

If this is needed the slots in the face plate are 12mm wide by 28 mm long

Cheers for that keys, it's exactly what I wanted to know, sod's law my local shop is out of stock of them so will av a go at making some.

Here's a bit more.
Yes there’re good.

The milling clamp sets you referred to are really designed for static loads and use on milling machines, the problem being the stepped ends used in conjunction with stepped blocks to achieve the correct height. This arrangement is not considered a safe practice on lathe work.

Always try to use 4 equal clamping points. If you can’t get 4 in then use 3, again equally spaced. Using only 2 clamping points – get ready to duck.
Trying to tighten just 2 clamps to hold the work piece can lead to damaging or even breaking your face plate.

Last thing, go slow – RPM that is – fast is not good. If you want to go over 150 rpm you will have to make sure the whole set up is balanced, otherwise the vibration will be a problem.

No this is the last thing face plate work can be dangerous, not just the work piece flying around the workshop, but you have to remember the clamps and bolts that sometimes protrude above the work piece, these not only destroy your tools but also fingers.

Dave

Last thing, go slow – RPM that is – fast is not good. If you want to go over 150 rpm you will have to make sure the whole set up is balanced, otherwise the vibration will be a problem. Quote

This is most important ,that it is balanced and doesn't swing down when free,otherwise you will have all sorts of problems,you can use change wheels as balance weights
Don

The milling clamp sets you referred to are really designed for static loads and use on milling machines, the problem being the stepped ends used in conjunction with stepped blocks to achieve the correct height. This arrangement is not considered a safe practice on lathe work.

Look carefully at the illustration in the URL referenced in reply #1. Captive screws, not step blocks, are used for the clamp height adjustment.

Very true Marv, but I think Dave was referring to the clamping kits mentioned in #1.

tel said:
Very true Marv, but I think Dave was referring to the clamping kits mentioned in #1.

Well, in that case...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0[/ame]

loads of useful info there and health and safety advice (no mention of hi vis though ;D). Also thanks for the difference between the milling clamping set's Im glad I didn't go and spend money on something I did not need.

I will go slow when using the faceplate I promise.

Back