BUILT UP FLYWHEEL

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Metal butcher was asking about a built up flywheel. I didn't want to take over his thread, so decided to do a quick post on how I think it could be done with no silver soldering, threading, nor press fits. If I am way out to lunch on this, well, correct me, but I think this is pretty valid. Step one involves turning a thick plate as shown (picture is a half section to show more plainly.)
builtupflywheel-step1.jpg
---Brian

This is step #2--Holes are drilled thru outer ring and part way thru inner hub, equally spaced using rotary table. The holes are same size as the intended spokes.
builtupflywheel-step2-1.jpg

In step #3 the spokes are cut a bit over length, then coated with Loctite 638 or 648 and slid into the holes untill they seat in the hub.
assyofbuiltupflywheel.jpg

And last but not least, after the Loctite has had 24 hours to set up, the outer diameter gets a clean up pass to finish off the spoke ends, and the thin web of plate which holds the outer rim and the inner hub together gets machined away. This should work well as long as the outer rim is fairly "deep" to give good contact area between the spokes and the rim, and the spokes are embedded at least 3/8" into the hub.---Brian
assyofbuiltupflywheel-finished.jpg

you idea should work very well brian................but what if i wanted green spokes ;D :D :eek: ??? ::) :p :big: :hDe:

chuck

aermotor8 said:
you idea should work very well brian................but what if i wanted green spokes ;D :D :eek: ??? ::) :p :big: :hDe:

chuck

Then all the treehuggers would love you!!! Green is very "in" right now.

Good job Brian! You didn't need to start a thread. This is what I would have added if I was capable. That's exactly the way I did at least seven flywheels in the past, and exactly the way I am doing this one. Although the past ones were soldered by preference. This one is made of aluminum that can't be soldered. Under normal circumstances I feel that a light press fit using Loc-tite should work. Its not possible on my current build and giving me cause for concern.
Nice drawings, thanks!
-MB

Here's just a thought.
I use solder to assemble my spoke flywheels based on a bit of fear.
My flywheels should still be solid and one piece say 10, 20, 30, etc, years down the road.
Can I say the same about this one that I'm gluing together?

-MB

You could cross drill through the rim and spokes and use roll pins to hold the spokes in place.

Chuck

That's a good idea! I have seen roll pins specified in plans for crank shafts. If it works for cranks it should work on a flywheel.

Your chuck full of ideas, Chuck! :big:

-MB

Or...... you could do what I did. Press fit a rim over the outer rim to trap and hide the ends of the spokes.

Steve

elbow-flywheel.jpg

Very very nice Steve! I used the idea of a separate rim on two flywheels using a brass and aluminum combination and they turned out good. On the one I'm doing now this is not possible. I'll let the Loc-tite set up and try the machining tomorrow.

I'll post the results good or bad in my thread Two-Bot.....in A work in progress, tomorrow late in the afternoon.

-MB

Latest posts

Back