Bog's Steam Engine from Junk Materials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd

Reaction score
John,

As you know I cheated in getting those plans. :-[ I have down loaded the lot and am enjoying myself immensely every morning when having my breakfast. I read a few pages of your build up. So every morning I'm thinking of you as I have my coffee and toast. I even learned few things. I like what you did with those pliers to hold round rod. I'm going to have to make a set of those.

I plan on building this engine in the future some time. Only I'm going to use imperial measurements. I also plan on doing a CAD drawing of the parts, if that's OK by you?

But first I must make some much needed tooling for my fledgling shop. :)

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd,

I am very glad you are getting enjoyment from it, that is what it is there for.

Someone on here has already done a few cad drawings for it, but please excuse my loss of memory, I can't remember where they are. Maybe you could search for them, and maybe learn a bit while going thru the old posts ( you get away with nothing on here, you cheated last time).

Do with them whatever you want, as long as no money changes hands, I am happy.

John

At this rate he won't learn anything.

But at least it shows, people do take an interest.

John

Bogstandard said:
At this rate he won't learn anything.

John

Not really John. I've seen some new techniques you use to make parts. Much easier too, I might add. I really like your style of writing. What I like the most about this write up is that it's designed sort of on the fly and by using only a sketch. No fancy drawings. Don't worry about tolerances, just make sure they mate to each other and work.

So, am I learning? You can give me a test later. :big:

I finally printed out all of the downloads and quickly looked through them. I got quite a chuckle out of the R.I.P. lettering on one of the eccentric bearings. ;D I showed the wife that picture and she picked it out right away.

Bernd

Bernd,

I am not and don't think I am a very accomplished machinist, just an average chappie really. But what I do know, is how to get the best out of what I have knocking about the shop. Nothing is sacred, if it will do the job, use it. I am just wondering how I can use the cat when he snuffs it.

Machining is only as difficult as you make it yourself. So why make it difficult at all, you will find that the easiest is usually the simplest way to solve a problem, and as you said, no fancy drawings, no tolerances, just make the parts to fit. That is why I design and make on the run, I can do whatever I like, one step leads to another.

You are the first one ever to mention my graveyard scene, even though it must have been downloaded many hundreds of times, not just on here, but from the site where I did the original post. Humour and engineering can be mixed.

John

I've started chapter 5. Have done lots of soft soldering and a bit of silver soldering. I find it easy since I have the knack for it. But I'm going to read the whole of that subject and see if I can gain more knowledge on silver soldering.

I can't believe I'm still reading your write up. I usually don't read a write up like that, but as I said you have a way of presenting the material that makes it a fun read.

Were the engines ever run on steam and/or have they been installed in a boat? Also I like the pipe bender you made. Any specs or words of wisdom on making one? I guess all I need would be the size of the rolls and I could figure out the rest.

BTW your write up on the turbine is excellent.

Bernd

P.S. Have done some surfing on the Paddleducks forum. Neat.

Latest posts

Back