Bending Small Diameter Brass/ Copper tubesHi,

Help Support HMEM:

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a reliable way of bending small tubes, 1/8", of brass or copper to an exact angle please? I have done these by heating the metal to soft before but I am about to start a radial engine with a lot of tubes and the above method is not suitable.

Many Thanks and Regards,

A.G

peter2uat

Reaction score
there is only a small market for small sized tube benders - I'll try to post some pics.
But, if you go out to build your engine - why not build the bender yourself? its one of the easiest tools to make. Annealing the brass tube is a good idea, filling with wood's metal or colophonium would be applicable as well, as these materials can be reused after melting them out, lead or tin filling would be a bit trickier to get out again - but if the inner wall of the tube ist oily i coud imagine the lead/tin not to stick. use regular tin -not the one for electronic soldering - the colophonium there could clean the tube

Tube bender (robbe) 1.jpg

Tube bender (robbe) 2.jpg

Tube bender (robbe) 3.jpg

View attachment p1.pdf

View attachment p2.pdf

View attachment TubeBender-MichaelWard.pdf

kuhncw

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a reliable way of bending small tubes, 1/8", of brass or copper to an exact angle please? I have done these by heating the metal to soft before but I am about to start a radial engine with a lot of tubes and the above method is not suitable.

Many Thanks and Regards,

A.G

Hello A.G.,

A lot has been posted in HMEM about bending tubing and several people have posted drawings. Try a search for "tubing bender".

You may have to be signed in to search, at least that was my experience.

If you don't find anything, please ask again.

Regards,

Chuck

rkepler

Reaction score
I like the lever type made for one tubing diameter such as this:

http://weldwarehouse.securesites.net/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?::1:WLDWH:1:389=364-FH-02

If you keep an eye out on eBay you can pick them up fairly cheaply.

The nice thing about these is that you can bend to an accurate angle and offset - with a little practice you don't lose tubing to a bend starting at the wrong place or by having to cut tubing off after making a bend with a long arm. And since it's made for the diameter there's little to no crush on the bend.

Latest posts