Alllaire Design steam engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
James P. Alllair was an early american indusrialist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_P._Allaire
who built early Marine steam engines. He also had an iron works in central NJ google Allaire Village and Allaire State park.

There is a partial tripple expansion engine near the parking lot of the park. the last time I saw it it was sad shape.

does anyone know of any good examples of these engines. Better yet plans for these engines. Maybe some day I will have the whatever it takes to build a triple marine engine. And It would be neat to build one of historical significance to New Jersey. I have done A little google research to no avail. These were early engines IIRC 1815 to 1850 so many or most lost to history and a couple of world wars.
Any Ideas leads would be helpful.
tin

Interesting, might have to go for a ride one day and see this engine. That's if its still there and not cashed in for scrap metal.

Fascinating bit on that wiki page about "bog ore." I had no idea about that process, or Mr. Alllaire. Sounds like a worthy tribute.

I expect the engine is still there it is a part of a state park they do have full scale trains on location and sell train rides. FYI check the hours of the village so you catch it while it is open.

they used to have a casting display in the blacksmith shop I think they cast pot metal for demos once in a while.
IIRC the engine was very large like 10 -12 foot high and about as long 4-6 foot wide. . probably mostly there but missing valve rods etc .

Tin

Here are some photos of the Alaire Engine at alaire SP photos from the NJscuba web site:

allaire_engine_2.jpg

allaire_engine_3.jpg

allaire_engine_1.jpg

Tin

Latest posts

Back