A new use for a defunct system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember, back in the beginning of the 80's, the new hospital in Johannesburg, had a little more advanced system. It was a rail system that ran from the desk areas up the wall, upside down on the ceiling, through the walls all over the place. Little boxes on wheels back and forth on this system all the time and when the patients came from one department to another, his file with the test results and so on would arrive for the doctors to consult. This was before the pc era. I remember, the track had a power rail and a linear gear and the box had it's own motor.
I can imagine before PLC's, the level of sophistication of such a system.

There is still a Reny's in Camden, Maine, but too small for that system.
Mosey
There are several Reny's still in Mane- it is quite a successful local business. The founding Mr. Reny died sometime last year but its still a family run business. Great place to shop.

Now how many people reading this list are now thrilled to know that :D

I remember, back in the beginning of the 80's, the new hospital in Johannesburg, had a little more advanced system. It was a rail system that ran from the desk areas up the wall, upside down on the ceiling, through the walls all over the place. Little boxes on wheels back and forth on this system all the time and when the patients came from one department to another, his file with the test results and so on would arrive for the doctors to consult. This was before the pc era. I remember, the track had a power rail and a linear gear and the box had it's own motor.
I can imagine before PLC's, the level of sophistication of such a system.

That system, with train bodies on the boxes, in a Children's Hospital would be awesome!
Hospitals are scarey places for kids, just imagine the kids faces if they saw little toy trains (like Thomas the Tank Engine) driving up the walls and along the ceilings!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back