A new carriage stop for my lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone who gave constructive advice about carriage stops when I asked for it. Special thanks to Bogstandard for his insights, and to Itowbig for putting up a picture of a carriage stop that he made, which also holds a dial indicator and can be used as a measuring device for carriage travel as well. I made this up this afternoon, based on the picture that Itowbig posted, and it performs very well. When I am moving the carriage manually, using the handwheel on the end of the lead screw, it definately does stop the carriage. If I accidently run the carriage into it under power, I don't really know what would happen, and I sure hope that I never find out. (and yes, it does clear the leadscrew by about 3/16"----the camera angle is a bit funky) Once again, thanks for the help.---Brian

carriage stop001 (Medium).JPG

carriage stop004 (Medium).JPG

Great job there Brian. I need to make an indicator holder like that for my little south bend. There isn't hardly any room for a mag base on it.

Thanks for sharing, Wes

my lathe hit that dern thing under power. it moved but with a lot of grunt. but i keep my belts a little loose just because im new to this and i dont want to break my machine or my self. im really glad that i helped somebody. what a great place to be ;D
i first saw that somewhere and thought i need to make that. its helped me a few times.

That's a neat little add on guys ;) ............ like Tel, with all these new tools and gadgets to build the list just gets longer and longer ::)

CC

Hi guys,

I built one very similar. It's reversable so it's a dial stop or a hardstop.

It uses a cotter and a 1/4 turn locks and unlocks it.

Dave

Picture008.jpg

Back