A hammer without a handle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
Ok, you won't need this one to make miniature engines but, nevertheless, it's a handy tool on those occasions when you need it. (Hmm, that's stating the obvious, isn't it?)

I needed a moderately hefty hammer in the small toolbox I take to meets. Trouble is, it's so loaded with tools that there's really no space for a full-sized ball peen. So, since I needed the weight and not the swing, I made a handle-less hammer.

HANDER.jpg

It's nothing more than a 5" length of gas pipe with two hammer heads (one steel, one brass) force-fit into either end. Before fitting the last head, I filled it about 2/3 full with bird shot to give it a nice dead blow and a bit more weight.

While I wouldn't try driving 10d nails with this, I have discovered that it's very, very handy for 'adjusting' machinery and such in tight quarters where it's difficult to swing a conventional hammer. In fact, I like it so much that I made a miniature version for delicate bench work, e.g., seating tiny roll pins when making crankshafts.

You guys are killing me. ;D

I love to see things like this. It is one of those "why didn't I think of this" items.

Again, great job Marv... got any more lovely tools you want to share with us?

Eric

Similar units are available from the supply places as well. They are called "Thumpers" and are commonly used around the shop to nudge things that last little "Squish".

As usual Marv, you have produced a simple, inexpensive, and elegant solution. I have a few pieces of Delrin rod I use as "thumpers" but now will have to build one of yours cause it is just too easy. I think I might turn some delrin faces for a no-mar one.

Thanks!

Another great idea, Marv! What size pipe is that? Looks like about 3/4"?

Chuck

I have a variation of the same thing in my box, though it is just a piece of lead. Marv's version is so simple I just may make me up a couple of these with different ends (steel, brass or lead, wood, delrin) on them for different applications.

I must make the statement that I am always amazed at the different ideas that people come up with! Necessity is the mother of invention!!

Wareagle...
Does that make Marv Necessity's midwife?...(grin)

Steve

Latest posts

Back