A beginner in retirement

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedge

Reaction score
Hi all
I became interested in repairing clocks as a hobby in retirement.

My horizons have broadend I would like to make a model of Dolbears horizontal steam donkey logging engine as per his 1882 patent application drawing.
The 4L group on Yahoo have been very helpfull with information

To accomplish this I have a Cowells 90CW lathe, Sherline 8 way mill with DRO and a Unimat 4 mill drill that I use for drilling and tapping.

All of these are metric

Ken

Not familiar with the dollbear donkey, pictures please.
Coles ,sherline, unimat all quality tools but on the small size so projects need to be sized or selected accordingly.

metric should not be a problem just need to draw the plans in metric.
3-D parametric drawing software has come down in price . some free.
so likely you will have to draw the plans.
IIRC brian Runow built a donkey you may be able to use those plans and scale them down.
if you have not done so I suggest you build a simple engine or two with proven designs and get used to your machines and the requirements of engine building.
Tin

Hi
I would have done better to have spelt Dolbeer correctly.

The Dolbeer engine that is shown on the patent application was purely a proof of concept drawing and is pretty basic.

I have a copy of Armitage plan sheet 26 this gives measurments of a 1895 period Dolbeer horizontal capstan donkey engine.
I intend to use the castings for a Reeves Perseus engine to drive it.
The dimensions on the engine drawing are imperial I was intending to convert these to metric to machine on my equipment, this should work as long as mating dimensions are matched i.e. piston and cylinder bore.
Comments would be appreciated.

I am working on 1"=1' then converting to metric, starting with the sledge which is 381mm x 106mm and make it up as I go along.
Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated

Attached is a pdf file of the 1882 patent application showing the drawings

Ken

View attachment Dolbeer1882patent.pdf

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Brians thread looks interesting.
The Donkey Engine Plan book started it all off!
I then foolishly moved onto "In search of Steam Donkeys" by Merv. Harris and "Logging" by Time-Life.
I have never seen a Logging Steam Donkey in the "flesh" as they were not used in the U.K. but the stories and pictures of logging in the West of America are something else.
Ken

I have a Craftsman 6”lathe and a Lensey Milling machine I have used for years. I signed up for this forumso I could learn from the people that have been doing machine work for years.Yes I read a lot on the subject and get the Home Machinist Magazine too. Myhobby is repairing steam engines and steam toys and small electric motors, alsotoys. I’m a retired Electrician and full time firefighter for Cleveland. Hence thename, firefite. Dave

Back