Hercules Running Issues

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston_Broke

Reaction score
Hey All,
I built Bob Shores' Hercules engine several years ago. I have yet to get it to run for any longer than a minute. Over the years, I have done a handful of changes but have not found the magic one yet. Getting ready for NAMES I decided to spend some time on her last night and found a couple opportunities. I found the hole for one of the head bolts was poked through to the coolant passage, not a show-stopper but regardless needed to be fixed. I put a dab of JB Weld down the hole and just crossing my fingers that will do the trick. I also noticed the front cylinder intake valve was leaking pressure. Now I think I'm onto something. I lapped the valve a little but not enough, of course this is only discovered after re-assembling. I've been thinking about this problem and it sure seems like it will solve my running problem. Cylinder 1 has poor compression and cylinder 2 may not be taking in fuel/air because cylinder 1 is back feeding to the intake passage. I'm going to work on it more tonight and hopefully get it running for this weekend.

I hope to see you there!

Latest posts

Back