UK Cut off saw cheap.....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divided He ad

Reaction score
I saw this today and I'm on my way to get one .....

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_7487.htm

I have been using the circular saw by the same company for over a year and it is awesome to say the least,
That cuts through steel upto 3-4mm deep being pushed in a straight line quickly and efficiently and it is still on it's first blade!!!

I have used it to cut through 1" box section too, no problem.

Just thought I'd tell you cause if your like me and can't afford a bandsaw or power hacksaw (or don't have the room for them!) and you cut everything by hand!

Then this might be usefull?

I'll take some photo's of it and what it cuts when I get it.... assuming the hoards of tradesmen and hobbyists don't get them first.... you should have seen it the first time they sold digital verniers people buying them in 10's!!!

Ralph.

It works!!!! Boy does it work......

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02234.jpg

All cut in less than 5 mins and all cut straight!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
DSC02235.jpg

Steel tube 13mm, bronze 18mm, brass 10mm mild steel 11mm and.... Stainless steel 14mm!!! No problem.... like the proverbial hot knife.... ;) Well worth the £90:00 outlay ;D

Ralph.

Hi Ralph, just replied to your PM.

What are the specs for the unit? Would you say it is a fair replacement for a powered hacksaw/bandsaw, it looks a bit more compact which is always nice?

Very cool John, Thanks the cost of the blades are something. That they sell makes you wonder how they can make some of this stuff ;D
glen

With the cost of the blades they should almost give the saw away free. How long do the blades last and are they resharpen able? Could you use other cheaper blades?
Regards,
Gerald

Well I'm hoping that the blades last a very long time that way it wont be such a hit when replacing them.

On Ralph's recommendation I took a quick "sunday drive" to my nearest Aldi and pocketed myself one of these, I must say after the few cuts I have just done with it I'm over the moon, what a bit of kit for the money.

Thanks Ralph for the heads up!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I've been out all day, just got back.... Went to see an old fella named John! ;D

I can not yet answer any questions... but it cut through that stainless like it wasn't there!!

David, glad you like it.... I certainly like mine :D

It will be mostly used on brass and aluminium... but some steel will work it's way through.

I will be using it quite a lot soon enough so will take a vid or two and post them.... also need to work out a max cut, I need to know what to avoid!! The blade on the hand circular saw from work has lasted over a year and has cut a great deal of stuff in that time... so we shall see how this lasts.....

Going to the pub now ;D

Ralph.

These Evolution saws are great! The blades are expensive, but i have found they last for a pretty long time. The secret to longevity is not abusing them. The saw I use (doesn't belong to me) has had the same blade on it for a couple of years. It has seen all varieties of mild steel, aluminum, brass, chrome moly tubing, and on occasion stainless steel. The thing just keeps going.

The blades are carbide tipped, so they should be able to be resharpened when need be.

It is certainly cleaner and faster to use than an abrasive saw! It someone decides to buy one, I think you will be pleased witht he performance.

The topic of non abrasive chop saws on another forum had this US site posted with the metal cutting blade. I don't know if they ship out of the country or not.http://www.bulletindustries.com/Items/5090?&caSKU=5090&caTitle=Carbide%20Tooth%20Metal%20Cutting%20Blade%2014%e2%80%b3%20x%20.09%e2%80%b3%20x%2066%20Tooth The guy that posted it said he was going to sharpen the blade and find out how it worked as they said that sharopening the blade would void the warranty. But do you really need a warranty if you are pitching the blade to the scraper! ::) when he posts his finding I will post them here also.
;D

How noisy are these saws?

i was looking at one before but thought they might be quite noisy but they rotate and quite a slow speed.

thezetecman said:
How noisy are these saws?

i was looking at one before but thought they might be quite noisy but they rotate and quite a slow speed.
They are quite noisy and thats without cutting anything the revs are quite high the instructions tell you to switch on, and let the revs pick up before attempting a cut, but saying all that the amount of cutting we are likely to do .there'd should'nt be many problems! they also supply goggles and ear plugs with the unit, which is handy! but definitely grab one when you can
Regards Max...........

HS93... :bow: :bow: :bow: Thank you..... I've been waiting for the step drill/hole cutters to return for ages... My last 2 are now near blunt (I use them all day in work)

thezetecman,
Yes they are a bit loud....and spin fast as hell.... (however fast that is!!?) But they certainly work.....

DSC02244.jpg

It will not cut this big if you just ram it in but a pecking approach and it was through in about 30 seconds!!! This is a hardened steel rod for an industrial rock crusher hammer to swing on!!! ;D (last time I cut this with my hacksaw it took over 20 minutes and was very wonky!!! ::) )

I'm very happy with it ;D ;D

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back