Solid Electronic Edge Finder Sprung Ball Modification

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Hulme

Reaction score
I wanted an electronic edge finder so I bought myself one of these - http://www.teng.co.uk/4200-125-metric-electronic-edge-finder.html - (you can probably get them cheaper from China but if we all spend all our money in China then before long there won't be anywhere here left to buy from.)

I don't know about you but I'm as likely as not to move it the wrong way whilst it's in contact with the work and suspect I'd eventually knock the end off, so I added a push fit sleeve from silver steel, a 6mm stainless ball bearing, a bit of spring wire and a couple of holes for a spring retaining pin and I'm in business ;-)
I love it when a plan comes together,
Nick

DSCF1129.JPG

DSCF1131.JPG

I guess the spring is epoxied to the ball, yes?
If so, then there can't be too much tension in the spring 'cause if it was me, instead of knocking the original end off the probe, I'd knock the ball off the spring but I suppose that's better than damaging the probe!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I guess the spring is epoxied to the ball, yes?

No, it's soldered with a lead-free solder, quite hard and stronger than lead/tin.
I have a good stock of Killed Spirits for soldering stainless ;-)

- Nick

Latest posts

Back