Saddle Locking Lever for Myford ML7

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPeake

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is a simple modification which is of great use (at least to me) as it makes locking the saddle of my Myford a breeze. It's very useful for milling and facing a part to an exact length.

Here are the pics:

Saddle%20Lock%2001.jpg

These are the original components which are used to lock the saddle. These require the use of a spanner (in a rather awkward position).

Saddle%20Lock%2002.jpg

I have machined the head off the bolt and replaced it with a thread.

Saddle%20Lock%2003.jpg

The larger ball being machined. I was originally intending to cut the larger ball and the shaft as one part, but changed my mind so ignore the extra material which has been removed.

Saddle%20Lock%2005.jpg

The ball, having been machined to receive the bolt and being machine to receive the lever.

Saddle%20Lock%2006.jpg

The rest of the lever. The smaller ball has been machined from a separate piece and silver soldered on.

Saddle%20Lock%2007.jpg

The whole assembly together after the bolt has been screwed in tight and silver soldered to keep it there.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed it.

Hi There,

I performed a near identical mod to my Logan...one of the best mods I've made!

Dave

My take on the theme, on a Super 7. The handle is made of 2 annealed ball bearings, one 24mm and one 16mm. I made a new locking "nut", the round disk with an offset threaded hole (8mm) and used some 8mm allthread for the bolt. There´s a bit of ali tubing to lift the handle higher, so it´s easier to assemble it (and use). It´s now in the locked position, open it points straight back (some 20o).
Photobucket is still in repairs, it seems, so here goes.

Ballhandle.jpg

Here's my version i did a couple of years back! similar to to yours but lever is underneath and out of the way
regards Max.............

DSCN0667.JPG

DSCN0666.JPG

DSCN0668.JPG

DSCN0665.JPG

Latest posts

Back