Quick Change Tool Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Sometimes the way my brain works just confounds me, and not in a good way! :mad:

Several years ago I bought a Chinese knockoff of the quick-change tool holder, size AXA for my 11" Logan. When I first got it, I was all excited. I was a little dismayed that I had to make a t-nut to fasten it to the compound but, what the heck, that should have been expected.

The next thing I discovered is that the boring bar holder only takes 5/8" shank boring bars. I'm partial to the 3/8" shank carbide tipped boring bars, so didn't see an easy solution.

I also like to use the TPG 320 series triangular carbide inserts. I had made my self an insert hold which I've been using for years, as you can probably tell from the picture:

OldHolder.jpg

This holder requires the tool post to be at 45 degrees to the lathe bed for most facing and turning. Unfortunately, the boring bar wants to be parallel to the lathe bed, so every time I changed tools, I had to reset the tool post to the correct angle.

As a result of all this, the QC toolpost sat in my toolbox for nearly two years with little or no use. I finally decided to do something about it.

First thing was to keep the tool post square to the lathe bed, so yesterday I made a new insert holder that would hold the inserts at 45 degrees. By the way, the insert is supported all the way out to the cutting tip. Works perfect!

NewToolHolder.jpg

Next to tackle the problem of holding my small boring bars. I looked on ebay for a possible solution and discovered a combination holder which would hold a square tool bit and it had a v-groove in the bottom so it would also hold a small shank boring bar up to 7/16" diameter. I almost ordered one, then decided to go look at the "spare" tool bit holder that came with my set. Lo and behold, it had a v-groove in the bottom!

BBarHolder.jpg

I could have been using my QC holder all this time, but because I was impatient and lazy, I didn't go to the trouble to figure it out until now. :-[ I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back