Moving Machines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Kenny

Reaction score
Made a 200 mile round trip today to pick up a new (to me) little bench top mill that weighs in at #700. The guy told me over the phone no problem, he had an engine hoist and could roll it right up to my pickup. Sounded good to me. After pry baring the little wheels of the hoist over the man door threshold, getting it stopped on the down hill sidewalk before it dropped it off the 5" curb, having a wheel sink into the pavement we got it in the truck. Tomorrow I will unload by myself with a stronger hoist, I just feel safer that way.

Kenny

Kenny, that sounds like an adventure you had!! Gald you and the mill survived in one piece.

And congrats!!

Talk about pucker factor;o) there's nothing worse than seeing a good machine dropped
faint.gif
redface2.gif

Been there, Done that
1signprepare.gif

Glad you and your mill are both OK.

Best Regards
Bob

Got it unloaded in the hanger today. Good straps under the head, lifted it right out of the truck. I have it sitting on 2x6s till I get it oiled up and make a stand for it. Did it with one hand and didn't even spill my coffee. Sometimes a stranger helping can make the job dangerous.

Kenny

Plan ahead carefully, and from an extremely paranoid view of what could happen

Take it slowly

Make sure you have help on hand

Make sure the help is smart and knows not to become part of the problem.

Discuss the safety issues in advance and have a plan for anything that could happen before it does.

Where there is particular concern, rig a backup. For example, I live on a hill, and frequently put my engine hoist on a short "leash" and/or set chalks in it's path so it couldn't get far no matter what.

Don't cheat! If you need a chain, lift strap, or something else to do it right, go get one.

Powder keg said:
Talk about pucker factor;o) there's nothing worse than seeing a good machine dropped
faint.gif
redface2.gif

One thing worse may be to drop it on one of your body parts! :eek:

Easy does it! Think things thru first.

Kap Pullen

Miller Time;

tlathe6.JPG

Latest posts

Back