Making flywheel spokes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolland

Reaction score
I am working on an engine Brian has posted, the double cylinder, and need some help on cutting flywheel spokes. Could anyone guide me in the right direction. I do have a dro on the mill and a rotable. The flywheels are four inch diameter. ???

Tapered spokes are attractive. For straight or tapered spokes, you may want to take a look at the FLYWHEEL program on my page. If you need assistance, I'll be watching this thread.

mklotz
I looked at your program and am more confused than before. Is it possible to set up the program on the dro with a circle cutting program and advance from there?
My idea was to cut the inner holes that form the hub then move to the rim and cut the holes that form the inner part of the rim I will most likely use straight spokes as they look to be the least complicated

The program is not something one executes on the DRO. Rather, it's used to find the angles at which one drills the central and peripheral holes needed to define the spokes. For tapered spokes it also calculates the offset needed to produce the correct taper.

Roland,

As in my Madmodder post, I do make up flywheels as I go along, but I have used Marv's program many times to give me what I want, and really, with a couple of minutes playing about to get used to it, it becomes very easy to design your own.

It gives you like a dot to dot puzzle printout and it is just a matter of sticking the blank in the RT, put the correct size drill in and follow the instructions.

You will not find anything easier to do the job.

Blogs

Thanks to all, I think I can muddle my way through. guess I was trying to make things more complated than needed to be. Math is not one of my best subjects but I did get "A"s in pictures.

Roland--I'm curious. How much of the engine have you completed? Although I see that many people have downloaded my plans, you are the first person I know of that is actually building my double horizontal engine.---Brian

brian
I lack the flywheels, I am waiting for material to arrive so I can move on. I have started on the governer but still working through the main bracket drawing. Lots of measurements to contend with.
I can say that the connecting rods take at least 8 or 9 different setups to get all the cuts made, but they are finished so far that was the most difficult part.

Yes Roland, the crankshaft and the connecting rods are the most complex parts on that engine. When I bought my lathe and mill a couple of years ago I also bought a rotary table. So far, the flywheels for that engine are the only things I have ever used the rotary table for. You must have quite a number of things that I've designed.--The beam engine, my version of Chuck Fellows engine, and now the twin horizontal. I like the Chuck Fellows engine, but my all time favourite so far is the twin horizontal.

Brian
I am trying to catch up ;D Actually I do like the designs, being retired I need something to do and The plans you draw are really easy to follow if I pay attention to all the dimensions.
I have a grandson that is very interested in things mechanical so when he comes to visit we get to play toys together.

Latest posts

Back