Lathes & Long Hair Don't Mix

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babba

Reaction score
Everyone I asked for advice before I bought the lathe told me "get your hair cut".

I've always been a non-conformist & it really hurt when I had to get the hair cut for career reasons. I always promised myself that once that career was over I'd grow it back.

scalped5.jpg

The fire brigade were quite impressed with the general level of safety & commented that they don't often it see in a home workshop. I had boots on, overalls & safety specs. I have both of the types of fire extinguisher I will never need, the space is well laid out with no trip hazards & I,ve spent £100's putting in a good power supply with circuit breakers etc.

scalped3.jpg

What I didn't have & neither did they, was a blade thin enough to fit between my scalp & the power feed bar. A neighbour volunteered his cut throat razor.

scalped1.jpg

Lucky ?

As my head was being slowly pulled into the lathe I remembered a few things that it would be a shame to not have had the time to do.

Thanks for having the courage to share this incident.

I demonstrated something very similar to my children recently that for no other reason to scare the )@&*&#(* out of them, not with hair but a 1/4" diameter piece of brass.

You are VERY lucky.....but I am very glad you were not seriously hurt.

Others please take note! Rick would concur here I am sure. Hair and gloves don't mix with machine tools!

The Karma point is from me!

Warm Regards,

Dave

Babba, you have got to be sh***ing me! :eek: You are one lucky SOB, I'll have to say that much. I'm certainly glad that you are not seriously injured.(hair will grow back) May I recommend a good stylist for you? All of your efforts to make a safe shop environment and you broke one of the cardinal th_rulze. Shame on you.

BC1
Jim

This all happened a year or so ago.

The barber didn't know if it would grow back, it pulled a lot of hair out by the root & he said it either will or it won't, thankfully it did.

It didn't hurt me (except for 1hr+ trapped in an awkward position) because you can lift a person by a pony tail & they won't hardly feel a thing.

I currently sport a No' 4 Skinhead. I heartily suggest that everyone else does too.

Babba,

And any others who like long hair. There are industrial hair nets available to help prevent these types of incidents.

Best Regards
Bob

It was a surreal moment when one of the firemen noticed the fire extinguishers.

I'd remained calm all that time but remember becoming quite worried that they'd nick me for not having had them tested for over 2 years.

Humour belongs in situations like this & I remember the chief fire officer commenting "don't worry about it, it's only a £3000 fine (winks)".

Hi Babba
Maybe You are VERY lucky.....but I am very glad you were not seriously hurt and thanks for sharing your experience!!
Cheers Paolo

Babba --- Lesson Learned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you gave up the long hair instead of the hobby. Looking forward to some good engine builds from you.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to show what can happen, Babba.

It is stories like yours from a real person that had this happen that helps others to think about safety when they are in their shop. I know sometimes it sounds like we are chanting about long sleeve shirts, gloves and safety glasses too much, but there is a reason.

Kenny

Holly hell

lucky it was only the power feed and not the chuck

It take a lot of courage to share this with us

thank you and I hope this save some one else from this type of incident

On the farm I worked on all tractor drivers had to have hair no longer than the shoulders for this same reason (PTO) drive

Wayne

I think all of us should take a moment and think about the habits we have in the shop.

I am a big strong man. But I am nothing compared to my lathe.

All of us....if your honest...has had a moment of indiscretion in our shop.

I am by no means clean here!....but I try.

Think about that and about just how frail the human body is.

If this thread makes someone think that one "extra" time.......that person has Babba to thank.

This forum has always driven the mantra of Safety First. As it should be.

Thank you Babba! And a very Hearty Welcome!

Most Sincerely,

Dave

I've seen a few similar accidents involving industrial machines.
One of those involved a slow turning 20" column drill press.
The operators hair got wrapped up in the chuck that was only turning
18 RPM. After it wound him up tight it broke his neck.
He was pronounced dead at the scene by the County Coroner.

I'm glad you were not seriously injured Babba!

Rick

Latest posts

Back