hack sawing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on the proper way to use a hack saw? I was cutting a piece of 1/2 " aluminum that was 4 inches wide. A needed a piece 1 inch wide by 3 inches long. I scribed the lines, and the as I was cutting, the saw wandered a little off the line. I tried to correct by bending the blade, but it just kept wandering. By the time I got to the end of the 3" cut, I was off the line by 1/2". I had to make a second cut to make it close enough to mill. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

For cuts as straight as possible, first I make sure that I have a good solid hack saw with a sharp blade. I find that a blade missing some teeth, or that is simply dull won't cut straight. Flimsy hacksaws Won't hold the blade well enough for my tastes. I like plenty of tension on the blade. Cutting with the work at about elbow height works best for me. Also, I tend to get a straighter cut if I use both hands on the saw (both on the back handle.) That helps me keep the saw straight and also lets me sight down the blade better. Use a little light oil, a drop or two every so often seems to help the cut and make the blade last longer. And, as my Dad always told me, "let the saw do the work." Basically, that just means taking your time and not pushing down hard as you cut.

I have wanted a bandsaw for the longest time, but can't justify the cost or the space in the garage, so I use a hacksaw a lot for cutting material to a size the machine tools can handle. I have described what works for me, I hope it helps you.

Some of this is in the set up you use. Not sure I can describe it. A photo would make it easy to understand. If you have your piece standing up on end and cutting across the 1/2" dimension, try this instead: Lay the piece out horizontally so that you are cutting the long length to the depth of 1/2". This way you can start the cut on one end and then lay the saw blade on top of the line to be cut and start a groove along the length of the line. When you cut you can raise the handle of the saw and cut at about 45 degrees and then occasionally lower the handle until you are back in the groove you made. Cutting at an angle will help keep the blade lined up and give the cut a groove as a guide to follow. Hope that makes some sense. I will shoot some pics tonight if not.

Make sure the teeth face forward. The hacksaw should cut as you extend the saw away from you. Also make sure you are using the right number of teeth per inch (TPI). Thin stuff requires more TPI. Should always have 2-3 teeth in contact with work to avoid tooth breakage. On thicker pieces use less TPI.

Jim

It not uncommon for blades to have more tooth offset on one side than the other. Mostly happens on inexpensive blades, but I have had it happen on name brand blades also. It everything else seems normal, try a new blade from a DIFFERENT package.

In a pinch, you can sometimes stone the teeth on the side that the blade is cutting towards a little bit. Use a hand held stone and keep the stone in contact with the back edge of the blade and the teeth so there is a little bit of side clearance. Don't get carried away. One or two strokes is enough if it is going to work. The blade will cut slower, but it may get you out of a jam until you can get a new one. This does not work as well on wave set blades as raker set, but can sometimes get you out of jam on a Sunday night.

Sometimes band saw blades have the same problem.

Gail in NM

Back