Eye Glasses for shop use

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
My eyes are getting older. I have been using my magnifying reading glasses for most of my machining work, but have to take them off to find anything around the shop, or try to look over them which is annoying. I know reading glasses don't offer much eye protection either. Polycarbonate full line bi-focals with wide lenses have been recommended. I have never had bi-focals before. What have you eye sight challenged machinists found best for shop work?
Jeff

I use these.

If you click on that picture it will take you to their web site.
For about $12 USD you can buy them with a 2.5X magnification bifocal.
Play around on that web page and click the (bifocal strength) arrow you will find them.

It is easy to overlook the bifocal for average work and simple to find the sweet spot
in the lens for closer look.

Rick

RK
I have had polycarb line fee bifocals for about 5 years now. My first pair they were a bit pricey but I wear them all the time. I am about due for a new pair.
Tin

Tin--I wear polycarb trifocals. They won't shatter and they work very well for near, far, and that no mans land about 36" to 55" out where neither of the other two lenses work.---Of course, I have a different pair of bifocals for the computer.

Thanks Rick. That is just what I was hoping to find.
Jeff

Jeff

For years I have had a problem seeing in the shop with my glasses. I use progressive lens that are glass made for safety. Last time at the eye doctor we discussed my shop problem. we came up with a solution.
Progressive lens are made close medium far. We made a set for close and medium. They were made for specific distances. I work close - like a Sherline - at about 12 to 16 inches, and medium standing at a Clausing 12 at about 18 to 24 inches. by having them made to just the two distances both areas on the progressive glasses are large.

Results - best glasses I have ever had for a shop. The only problem is of course if you look across the shop it is blurry - but I do not care!! I can see my work clearly for the first time.

Bob

Back