Darwins 15"Duplex oil pump from WW2 tunnels

Discussion in 'Team Builds' started by TopEndScraper, Aug 6, 2013.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

im Just wondering if any members are from Darwin or the Northern Territory , Australia

Ive started to draw up the " Kelly & lewis , 15" duplex pump " from the Darwin WW2 oil storage tunnels , and just seing if any one is interested in making one ( or 2 )

Im drawing them in CAD , and have a CNC machine to make the patterns , and have the furnace / sand to cast the peaces

I was looking at making 6 of them , the set has 2 identical pumps , 1 set for the Tunnels , one set for the Qantas Hanger , and one set for me

[​IMG]
    These are the pumps , they were made in the late 1920's in Melbourne by Kelly&Lewis ( still trading ) and the photo is of the Darwin oil storage pump shed , and how they were set up , there still there in the building , but decommissioned ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only set of plans i could fine are a bit hard too read the measurements but easy enough to scale off what can be read , Ive emailed Kelly & lewis to see if they have a better set of plans showing the valve lay out inside the pump head , but i can always go see the port authority as the pumps are still in position
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the scale i was going to use , was based on the bolt size , so drawing it to take 2mm bolts so i dont have to modify the plans too much and change the way they look , wall thickness is always a problem when scaling but should be able to hide those internally , scale should end up 10:1 , so a 13/16bolt ends up 2mm
    so if anyone is interested , keep in touch
    cheers ken

larry1 likes this.
  2. Aug 6, 2013 #2

aarggh

aarggh

aarggh

I'd certainly be interested Ken! I'd have to rely on buying a casting set off you though mate if that's alright? As my pathetic little furnace has given up the ghost (again!). Looks like a great project.

cheers, Ian

3. Aug 6, 2013 #3

Herbiev

Herbiev

Herbiev

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Looks like a great project. Great find

4. Aug 6, 2013 #4

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

love how quick Turbo cad16pro is , i even surprised my self , drawing this in one day ( only started CAD 18months ago)

A lot of the edge thickness is 1.6mm , its getting a bit on the thin side , looks like "core sand " flasks , and heating the moulds , ive got a heap of tin , has any one made one out of pewter ? (tin copper mix ) and would it be hard enough , at least i can get it thin with pewter , 1.6mm with aluminium is asking for trouble , its only the flanges , ive already had to modify the scale so it looks right , most is 3mm , and i could always add extra to the flanges with Draft , and CNC off the extra after their cast for the gasket faces ?

[​IMG]

The clear bits sticking out are the Core's for casting , i just render them as glass , and leave them in coz ill need them for core moulds

I just need a point in the right direction , on some reading material about the " box " that sits on top of the engine , and regulates the direction of piston movement , i dont even know what its called , and google didnt like the " doo flacky , thingimy bob , that sits on top "
    So if any one has a link handy that explains exactly whats going on in there , ill draw up the core's , the only image i have is the last page on the first "message " , and that doesn't explain any thing

EDIT;so its called a box sliding valve , lol , who would have thought , easier than i thought to core , the hardest part would be the stting of the " throw " with lever length , looks like a bit of trial and error
    [​IMG]

larry1 likes this.
  5. Aug 7, 2013 #5

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

I set the Bell and bells core out tonight , in the Pattern for casting , their's a 3mm wall all around , i also added 1/4 to the length of the bell , it was a bit short on the original
    [​IMG]

the STL CAD file is attached in Zipped form

View attachment 15DuplexBell&Core2.zip

larry1 likes this.
  6. Aug 7, 2013 #6

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

And knocked out the lid as well , same 3mm thickness all through , the bottom flange will need 1/2ing / facing to match the original image , but i needed 3mm there

[​IMG]

the STL CAD file is attached in Zipped form

View attachment 15DuplexLid.zip

larry1 likes this.
  7. Aug 8, 2013 #7

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

And i did the " Spacer " today , and its core , these patterns are set up , core sand , just ram the sand in , gas bake , and fill , i found a supplier of M1.2 mm bolts , so the scale is about 1:30 , bore size should be about 10mm , its one of those things , wall thickness becomes a huge problem, at 3mm wall the core on this part ends up 7.6mm dia ,
    [​IMG]

STL CAD file as zipped in the attachments

View attachment 15DuplexSpacer.zip

larry1 likes this.
  8. Aug 10, 2013 #8

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

TopEndScraper

larry1 likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2014 #9

rosenguyen

rosenguyen

rosenguyen

You definitely did a great project. I would love to see more in future. Congratulations

10. Jan 7, 2015 #10

rosenguyen

rosenguyen

rosenguyen

Looking forward to your posts soon