New use for old Computers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldte

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Do any of you guys any ideas about what to use old working computers for in the home workshop? i have one that is in good nick and seems a shame not to use it, but cannot see any use for it at the moment.
Ideas gratefully recieved.
regards coldte

I have one in the shop with only cad software on it comes in handy to quick model some thing up just to get the correct dimensions. Works great with nothing but the cad software.

Hi Coldte

I have one in my workshop. It has a tv card in it so I can watch tv. It also has a DVD player so I can have films on and watch my favourite Fred Dibnah. I have a couple of programmes installed, a Myford gear change calculator, really handy. Coreldraw, a basic CAD programme that I use. If I want to transfer anything from the main computer in the house its easy enough with a USB memory stick. I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers

Rich

Foot stool :big: My shed is computer free ....just a digi radio is enough for me ,a situation soon to change i suspect

I have 2 computers in the shop 1 for cnc and one for on line stuff and reading pdf files . At least that is the theory .
Youcan use and older computer for running a cnc machine with turbo cnc or EMC2
Tin

I keep a netbook in the shop, its only function is to use Windows Media Player and randomly play the 6,000 mp3's I have installed on it. It's hooked up to the shop stereo system.

Over many years I have found a great use for that computer that has outlived it's time in service. Seek out one of the neighborhood kids in the 8 to 12 year old age and pass it on to them. If there are several deserving, have some kind of a mini contest to see who wins it.
You never can tell, you may be nurturing the next Bill Gates!
George

I have a very old PC in my shop that is nothing more than a "notebook".

I have Microsoft Excel installed on it and keep logs of what worked and what didn't.

My memory is about as long as my....uh....little finger sometimes.

The "find" feature in Excel makes for easy searching of the notes.

Rick

You can always do this with them.

Peter

PC beer.jpg

View attachment untitledgerged.bmp

Come to think of it I did find a use for my first PC an xt that I set a side I gutted it and used the box for my cnc cotroler and power supply. Maybe not as creative as a charcoal grill or beer dispenser but works for me LOL
Tin

I take old computers and install FreeNAS on them. Then use them for network attached storage on my home network. You can access the user interface over the network so you don't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor attached to the computer after you get it up and running.

Check out the FreeNAS hardware requirements.

The best part is that the software is free.

i use an old one in my garage to keep all the stuff ive collected for me to build when i get stuff to build them with its great for that kinda stuff and its close to where im at so i can just look at the plans as i go no paper laying around to get oily.
its so out dated that its not able to do anything else much and it runs my cameras that are outside my house to catch anybody messing around on video that part works great i can review the video in slow motion. u can see a rain drop very slowly

Latest posts

Back